Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bug Unexpected result of publishing Shapes as SVG with drop shadows

I had two bitmap images with alpha transparency with shadows applied that when published with the Shapes as SVG added shadows to the non-visible part of the bitmap as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2022-02-23 at 13-13-47 Mary E Carter, Author.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	145.8 KB 
ID:	131577  

Default Re: Unexpected result of publishing Shapes as SVG with drop shadows

Can you supply a xar file Gary?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I have already modified the file. But here's a test file that will show what is happening. Make sure Shapes as SVG is checked. Then Preview the page.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I have already modified the file. But here's a test file that will show what is happening. Make sure Shapes as SVG is checked. Then Preview the page.
    Gary, remove the Shadow, then in the Image Tab set the image to PNG, finally add back the Shadow.

Regardless of what you saw, Xara chose a JPEG output and so treats the images as a box, to which it adds the shadow. Setting it to a PNG, corrects this.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Good advice Acorn. But shouldn't (I already know the answer) Xara do this automatically?

Good advice Acorn. But shouldn't (I already know the answer) Xara do this automatically?
    Gary, at one point, it probably did, but with adding in WebP & SVG capability, a lot of code changes will always lead to a logic mistake. Without extensive testing, this is the outcome.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

OK, Acorn. Did you try what you suggested? If not please try it and report back.

Spoiler alert. Selecting the PNG file and in Image specifically selecting PNG does not solve the issue.

OK, Acorn. Did you try what you suggested? If not please try it and report back.
    Spoiler alert. Selecting the PNG file and in Image specifically selecting PNG does not solve the issue.
    Rebuttal alert.

Of course I did with your file.
    Image as PNG then shadow.

Acorn

I tried that as well. And both times I get the square shadow. I'll try it again.

You win. As Roseanne Roseannadanna used to say in the early days of Saturday Night Live, Never Mind.

Gary, I was not handy with my XDA but now here is my design file: Test File (Corrected).xar

Acorn