Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Pdf export crash

I am having a problem exporting my .xar file to pdf. I'm using the latest version of Xara Designer Pro X, Windows 11, using the Lenovo Legion T5 (NVIDIA RTX 2060, 16 GB RAM, I don't know the CPU offhand). I'm trying to export a file to pdf. Every time I try to export, it loads to 6 to 8%, then stops responding until I close the program. My first guess as to the problem is the size of the document--it's over 600 pages, with a lot of images throughout. But I split it into three smaller documents and had the same problem (and I really don't want to do that as my final solution, as it messes up my page numbers). I've tried several different settings of JPEG compression, DPI, and pdf version, but none of the changes have worked.

Anyone have any ideas?

Default Re: Pdf export crash

We have to determine where it will work for you.
    Using divide and conquer, we already know 600 & 200 fail.

What does 128, 64, 32 do? Stop at the bigger value.
    You could then nudge up half that amount until it breaks.

Have you set set up enough virtual memory on your machine? System > Performance > Advanced > Virtual memory.

Page starts can be reset.
    The only issue with splitting is whether you have got a Table of Contents section included.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Gremlin
    Slitting a file and recombining the individual PDF bits before publishing is a recipe for lots of headaches. As Acorn has mentioned, a Table of Contents will be difficult. Easier I'd suggest to try using a different pdf app first; such as PDF Creator. That way you will avoid having to keep track of potentially a lot of small files with different name and formats etc.
    cheers, EJ

What Acorn and EJ said...

Also, how in the world did you create a complex 600 page document in Xara in the first place!? (I assume you did not...)

If you 'massaged' together PDF's... Break it up in manageable parts and recompile it in an appropriate app.

Thanks, everyone. I initially made a number of smaller documents chapter-by-chapter, but I've been working with the full document for some time now, so I can't easily go back to the original small files. I guess I need to slowly cut it down as Acorn suggested.

I do have a table of contents and some links that bounce around the document--which was the biggest reason why I combined the documents together in the first place (that, and not having a pdf-combining app at the time). Am I going to have to just lose those features?

related question: I've encountered a weird error (internal program error 2544.t.st.ps) when trying to delete large numbers of pages while trying to cut down the document again, and another (internal program error 7676.k.no.tl) when trying to copy-paste pages. Any ideas what either of these errors are or what caused them?

I have produced (kicking and screaming) about a dozen paperback books using Designer Pro X and + I say kicking and screaming because there are so many basic book functions such as independent left and right pages and master pages missing.

My first suggestion is always the first to try when things don't go right, close the program then right click on the program icon and select Run as Administrator.

My largest book was about 300 pages, but I managed to do it in one document.

I did one of my earlier books by exporting 2-4 chapters as independent PDF files and using Acrobat to combine all into a single document.

What version of PDF/X are you exporting to? And is your book color or black and white.

I did one 90 page book of color photos, one photo for every two pages and exported as PDF/X without any issues.

So my guess is it is not the number of pages but something else that is causing the problems.

Also, with the latest versions of Designer Pro you can specify a starting page number, so this should not be a problem if you export multiple sections. Again, a big improvement would be to this page starts at 25 rather than having often to count back to the beginning of the document as when you have unnumbered front matter. But when all you have is a hammer. Ooops. wrong metaphor.

Well, in cutting the document down, I found some specific pages that caused me problems--I don't know why, but when I removed those pages I was able to export the whole document. So, I managed to make it work! Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Good to hear!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Glad you got it sorted, Or at least the major issue.