Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Web pages exported are skewed when viewed

Hi All
    I hope all are doing well.

I have a website I'm revamping & I exported 3 pages from a previous Xara site, when viewed locally these pages do not line up the site I'm revamping do.

They are skewed way over to the right & appears that the page or items should be further left?
    If so can I drag/reposition everything to the left in an easy way?!

If I view the pages individually even the skewed one's are OK, it's when I navigate the whole site & view locally.

I have looked at background settings but not sure what these should be & the pasteboard settings, I have read the help on these but still not clear on the settings as I'm think this maybe the problem?

Settings
    The site is 955px wide & the length auto-adjusts
    Position X0px
    Position Y15px
    Scale W 100% & H 100%

I have attached a screen shot of a skewed page.

I am using Xara Web Designer Premium 15.

Many Thanks to all you great people that help out!

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot DAVORA PROPERTY.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	131573  

Default Re: Web pages exported are skewed when viewed

Welcome to TG Davora, someone who knows should be along shortly, your post makes me want to learn web design.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I don't know but seems like if you have your initial web site on your computer then open it and make your corrections if OK then delete the offending index and re-upload.This is just a wild guess on mmy part.

Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Info Re: Web pages exported are skewed when viewed

Dave, three things to check:
    1. You have nothing hidden on any layer that is long, off to the left and crossing the pages. Try a Select All and see where the left edge is. Or use Shift+Ctrl+P to scale the page to the monitor.
    2. Look for any Placeholders with code that could be forcing the pages over on Preview. Shifted not Skewed.
    3. Check the Page background rectangle has not been unlock and moved over.

Your choice of background and pasteboard setting otherwise will not affect anything this major.

I only have XWDPv15.0.
    I do not know when Scale to Fit Width was introduced but sometimes people get odd effects when it is smaller than the actual page width.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Dave, three things to check:
    1. You have nothing hidden on any layer that is long, off to the left and crossing the pages. Try a Select All and see where the left edge is. Or use Shift+Ctrl+P to scale the page to the monitor.
    2. Look for any Placeholders with code that could be forcing the pages over on Preview. Shifted not Skewed.
    3. Check the Page background rectangle has not been unlock and moved over.

Your choice of background and pasteboard setting otherwise will not affect anything this major.

I only have XWDPv15.0.
    I do not know when Scale to Fit Width was introduced but sometimes people get odd effects when it is smaller than the actual page width.

Acorn
    Hi Acorn
    Item 3 pasteboard is unlocked should there be a red padlock on just the top ie pasteboard, or should pasteboard be unlocked & the red padlock on just the Pasteboard back ground -> rectangle red padlock as there is two options. if I lock pasteboard will this automatically lock the rectangle?

I will try locking the pasteboard on all the pages of the site & exporting/previewing the site on my laptop locally & see if that cures the problem.

Also is there a way to make a page up arrow float as if I move it to the correct place on one page it is in the wrong position (too high or low) on others, as many pages are different lengths.

I look in the sticky options but that doesn't appear to be a way to solve this problem.

Thanks

Dave
    Last edited by Davora; 23 February 2022 at 11:34 AM.

Hi Acorn
    Some pages don't have pasteboard & some no page background when I look in page & layer gallery, strange.

I'm trying not to have to move everything on the pages I exported from my old site to the current site, contents wise.

I don't know how to check this: Check the Page background rectangle has not been unlock and moved over.

There is nothing in my designs gallery as this is a fresh/new download as I swapped my laptop, not sure how I resolve this?

I don't know how to check this: Check the Page background rectangle has not been unlock and moved over.

Also do you any idea if is a way to put a search box on my site i.e. for searching within my website for properties, i.e. houses, apartments, land.
    Thanks again

Dave

Also do you any idea if is a way to put a search box on my site i.e. for searching within my website for properties, i.e. houses, apartments, land.
    Thanks again

Dave
    Last edited by Davora; 23 February 2022 at 03:37 PM.

Lightbulb Re: Web pages exported are skewed when viewed

Dave, there are too many factors to give you a fair answer.

• You are using XDWPv15.
      • For any business venture, you need to spend the cash to have a current supported product.
      • We are talking about all of £50 here.

• You have an unworking site at the moment.
      • You need to establish a solid template for what you expect to migrate across.

• The type of site you have is unknown.
      • This affects how a search over its assets can be made.
      • You have construct a simple Internet search widget; this relies totally on Google search bots, over which you have no control and requires a lot of configuration.

• If you have a Conventional site, you could use specific Paragraph Heading/Level Styles to allow separate Tables of Contents to be created.
        • This would require an upgrade to XDPX or Xara Pro+.

• If you were using a Supersite, you could try adding Anchors and building a Search Table.

• If you had a moderately changing portfolio, I would suggest considering a CMS.
        • I would use ECWID, now that I can handle it across Variants.

Checking in the Page & Layer gallery shows what is locked and hidden.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn

Thanks that is alot to deal with.

To update you. I copy & pasted from the pages I wanted that were skewed to new pages which are OK by duplicating the good pages & then deleted the skewed pages so that resolved that issue.

The scroll to top I was hoping for a basic answer if it can be made to float subject/relative to the page size.

I will look at upgrading my software, but don't want to pay a monthly/subscription based upgrade.

I will indeed check out the links you sent for guidance.

Thanks for your time & answering, it so appreciated as I know people give up their own free time to do this.

I will keep you posted as I progress.

Many Thanks

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Davora View Post
    Also is there a way to make a page up arrow float as if I move it to the correct place on one page it is in the wrong position (too high or low) on others, as many pages are different lengths.
    Dave, to make the Arrow fixed at the same height, you have two approaches.

The first one is place on the design page, make sticky and then repeat on all pages.
    If, thereafter, you change its position, all other pages follow that change.

The second one is the same but place ithe Arrow off the design page and on the pasteboard..
    This time the Arrow is at the same height but butts against the edge of the browser.
    Effectively it is off the page when the page is narrower than the browser width but on the page otherwise.
    Adding some transparency lets the viewer see under it.

Acorn

Hi Acorn
    Thanks (I think)? that is the opposite of what I want to do as my website has lots of different length pages so I want it to float when someone is at the bottom of the page so they can easily scroll click the arrow to return to the top of the page.
    Maybe the second option will work?

I have to try it & see!

I will let you know :-)

Have a nice weekend!

Thanks again..

Kind Regards

Dave