Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Horrid zombie update messages, how to turn off?

Quote Originally Posted by simsmj View Post
    "You'd think that if you accept the install, it would at least work and not ask you again next time wouldn't you!"

Agreed, the Update service updater doesn't work, but as I said that's Xara/Magix's job to fix. I don't know what's taking them so long to fix it, or to stop the constant reminder of the update expiry, but I can't believe they don't know about the complaints. The annoyance factor to what may well be many users that two useless popups have to be clicked away EVERY TIME XPGD-17 starts up is something they really need to fix, and especially the service updater which has a real job to do but isn't doing.

And it's not just the annoyance to what may be many of their users, it also questions their coding competence and their ability to properly test their code before it gets deployed onto users' machines. If I was Xara/Magix, I'd be embarrassed and worried about that!
    No, the issue is a pure Magix one. Magix wrap the Xara product up shoddily. All you might blame Xara for is not picking the right partner.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by simsmj View Post
    Interesting, does anyone know if it is specific to v17?
    No, I'm using V18.5
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

"No, I'm using V18.5" I have a laptop with v16, and it doesn't seem to have an updater service, but it did have the upgrade expiry popup via PhotoGraphicDesigner.exe, but that is now blocked.

Just to let you know that the Updating Service app's recent update installed on my machine w/o a hitch. Perhaps some of your security software blocks it?