Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Horrid zombie update messages, how to turn off?

I'm using Designer Pro X17, and it pops up all these really stupid messages trying to get me to turn on some sort of Magix update program, begging me to update the software. Really stupid amateurish way to irritate a long-term customer. Any suggestions about how to make the nag messages go away, for good? Besides switching to Illustrator or Affinity?
    Author -- 'Drawing for Money' and 'Self-Publishing Secrets', at Jon404.com

Default Re: Horrid zombie update messages, how to turn off?

Do you mean this message?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Renew the Update Service VPX.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	131574
    Last edited by browj2; 22 February 2022 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Forgot image
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

If that's what he's talking about, I keep getting it too, and it doesn't do anything. The installation won't start ... as it wouldn't a couple of years ago, when it kept popping up!
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I have had it with each Magix program that I have, on two computers. As far as I know, it is just the app that keeps track of which version you have and notifies you if there is a new update for that program (You have version x.0.1, available update x.0.2). Nothing more. You just accept, ok, done. Nothing more to see.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

I've been getting this message, too, every time I run up the app, but it never installs anything, because next time whether I had clicked on it or not, it asks me to install it all over again, and the next time, and the next time. It won't install, and I get no error messages that it has failed to install. On top of that, my update subscription expired on 4th March 2020, as I also get reminded every time I've run up the app since then. It gets old really, really quickly!

Edit: Even running up XDP as administrator doesn't get it to install properly, as I just tried that in the vain hope it would stop pestering me to re-install it.

Good lord, long time no see Mike
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi, Egg, I hope you are well? I see many of the old faces (well, you know what I mean) are still around. Sorry to be coming back with problems instead of solutions these days. I did notice earlier today in an update document that SVG resizing on import no longer happens by default! My XPGD-17 needed a registry fix to make it behave.

I still use it almost every day, and recently Xara3D too. I'd promised to try making a stamp for wax seals for the son of a long time friend, for the son's approaching 21st Birthday last year, after which he suggested I make one from myself, so I did. And that might make for an interesting post.

Oh, dear; I think I may have just committed myself, haven't I?

go for it
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes you have!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I'm on it! Just organising things, so just a day or so, I think, and in a fresh post.