Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Smart Phone page doesn't display properly

Xara Web Designer Premium 18.5.0.63630 DL x64 Jan 10 2022

The Main and Mobile pages work fine but when editing the Smartphone page I only get a dotted red outline of what I'm typing. I get the same dotted red line around a rectangle with anything I insert (images etc) but nothing else visible within the rectangle.

It's hard to explain so hopefully the screen shot attachment will help.
    Can anyone please guide me as how to solve this?

Regards

Joned
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smartphone page display.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	131535  

Default Re: Smart Phone page doesn't display properly

Joned. I think your going to have to upload that one page of your design. I thought for a moment that you may have settings on outline for everything you imported. Check the lower left box on your settings.
    For a test just draw a rectangle and color.
    Also run the program as administrator only. Clear cache etc.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Dotted red usually means you have copied things into the Guides layer.
    Move all to the MouseOff one.
    You may have residual issues with NavBars and rollover buttons.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you so much for your responses bwood and Acorn.
    The Smartphone page contents were in the Guides folder and moving them to the mouse off folder allowed images to display ok, but the text looks awful!
    I checked (as far as my limited knowledge allows) and think I'd like to upload a Smartphone page for your expert eyes to see what's going on. Noting that whatever is wrong affects all the Smartphone pages, but not the Mobile and Main pages.

What's the best way of uploading a page please?

regards
    joned

Quote Originally Posted by Joned View Post
    Thank you so much for your responses bwood and Acorn.
    The Smartphone page contents were in the Guides folder and moving them to the mouse off folder allowed images to display ok, but the text looks awful!
    I checked (as far as my limited knowledge allows) and think I'd like to upload a Smartphone page for your expert eyes to see what's going on. Noting that whatever is wrong affects all the Smartphone pages, but not the Mobile and Main pages.

What's the best way of uploading a page please?

regards
    joned
    joned, open your design onto a Phone page.
    In the Page & Layer gallery click the two adjacent icons that make all layers/objects visible and editable.
    Select All and copy.
    Open a new design and Paste.
    Save and upload the single Variant here.

Do check you have not Grouped the text with anything.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you Acorn.

I have followed your instructions - thank you.
    When I pasted the contents of the website 'mouse off' folder into a new 'untitled' document everything appears normal, and typing new text etc is also normal! It seems the problem is peculiar only to the smartphone pages on this particular website. I have another Xara website and that's fine on all page variations.

When I create text or insert an image they always go to the 'Guide' folder, and from there I have to drag into the 'mouse off' folder for them to appear on the page. Does this give us a clue as to what is happening?

So to sum up, as long as I keep dragging the contents of the guide folder into the mouse off folder the contents appear, including all images and text (but the text appearance is very poor).
    Fortunately despite the issue with text in the Xara design smartphone pages they do appear normal on my smartphone, so the program is converting ok for FTP upload.

So if I upload the new single page variant it will appear normal so is anything to be gained by uploading it?

Regards
    Joned

Joned, never met this issue before.

Clone you design file.
    Delete the SmartPhone Variant totally.
    Recreate it just 10px narrower than the Mobile Variant.
    If all good, reduce it to your SmartPhone width and check again.
    Don't worry about positioning other than getting it onto the page.

If all seems OK, go back to yor orignal and make another Variant 10px bigger than the current SmartPhone variant.
    Copy all across form old to new.
    Test.
    If all good, delete old and tidy up.

Seeing the single Variant page won't help.

Acorn

Thanks for your time and expertise.
    I'll give it a go.

Regards
    Joned

Just a thought before I undertake Acorn's suggestion.
    Would reinstalling the program stand a chance of correcting the problem do you think?

Regards
    Joned

Quote Originally Posted by Joned View Post
    Just a thought before I undertake Acorn's suggestion.
    Would reinstalling the program stand a chance of correcting the problem do you think?
    Regards Joned
    Joned, unlikely, it is usually a faulty design file.

How big is your design?
    You could always PM it to me for a once-over.

You have tried Run as Administrator?

When you say the text is awful, is that in Preview?
    If so, have you cleared the browser cache with Ctrl+F5?
    You might be chasing a fault that isn't there.

Acorn