Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

pgd6 Ram peaking at 99% while upploading

Hi All

Can anyone offer any advice on tweaking XWD Pro17 to reduce excessive ram usage.

My Webdesigner Pro X17 is now peaking at 99% ram when uploading.
    one of my websites that used to only take approx' 10 minutes to upload,
    now the same website takes over 30 minutes to upload.
    this website has 81 pages and many images all optimised
    never had an issue before I thought 10 minutes was fairly quick upload.
    What has changed to make it now 30 minutes to upload and 99% Ram usage?

My Pc is I5 64 BIT with SSD hard drive and 8GB Ram and works very well indeed
    if I upgarde my PC to 16GB Ram would this have any significant improvement?

All my other approx' 50 websites all load within minutes some also have 50 pages+
    and heavy with graphics some load almost immediately.
    I only have an issue with this one 81 page website loading so slowly, and if i upgrade to Pro X18 that is nagging
    me many times daily, would this new upgrade be any better for uploading and reducing RAM usage?

Settings under Web properties
    "Fast Publish (only changed files) is selected
    "Save Publish settings in document" is selected

in options under tune-ups
    Redraw is set to automatic
    Gallery cache is on 25
    Undo size is set to unlimited

Cache control
    cache groups and layers is ticked
    percentage of memory is set at 50%
    percentage of cache currently used: 0% of 4,039MB

I have a performance monitor running while uploading and the XWD Pro 17 shows 4.23 GB
    whilst it is converting document for export

it reduces to 1.08Gb and 40 to 59% ram usage after 18 minutes
    background processes only show 113.01MB

backups is set at every 25 minutes
    and keep 2 revisions

backup open doc on program lose and resotre on program start is un-checked
    I am using Broadband (>128kbs)
    cache size 12 Mbytes

Kind regards
    Condor

Default Re: Ram peaking at 99% while upploading

Condor, up your RAM. Try closing all unneeded applications; this should make a difference. Suspend Xara backups during a Publish. Export locally instead and use a FTP program, which will beat Xara.
    A Xara upgrade will output WebP images, smaller than Jpegs but longer to generate.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Condor, up your RAM. Try closing all unneeded applications; this should make a difference. Suspend Xara backups during a Publish. Export locally instead and use a FTP program, which will beat Xara.
    A Xara upgrade will output WebP images, smaller than Jpegs but longer to generate.

Acorn
    Hi Acorn

Excellent as I suspected, I have an ftp program for manual uploads Coreftp.
    Suspending Xara backups sounds good too.
    I am glad I can stick with Pro X 17 for now.
    new ram card 8GB DDR3 for £80 from Novatech

Many thanks for your swift reply much appreciated as always

Kind regards
    Condor

Hi Acorn

Ok i suspended the backups and shut down any applications
    i was able to upload with 18 minutes this was an improvement.

i am waiting for my two 8GB cards to arrive shortly to replace
    the two 4Gb cards i currently have

so now i wanted to try to manually upload with my ftp client Coreftp
    i exported the html files to a local folder this took in itself 8 minutes
    i copied the index_htm_files and web pages across in the ftp client and
    the index_htm_files folder has over 7,000 items its still uploading this folder and thats already 15 minutes
    and still reading 3,000 to go?
    what have i done wrong? this way will take longer than if i use Xara ftp publishing?
    I must be doing something seriously wrong here? the website is over 4GB
    if all else fails i can live with uploads speeds of 18 minutes

Please help!!
    Kind regards
    Condor

Quote Originally Posted by condor365 View Post
    Hi Acorn

Ok i suspended the backups and shut down any applications
    i was able to upload with 18 minutes this was an improvement.

i am waiting for my two 8GB cards to arrive shortly to replace
    the two 4Gb cards i currently have

so now i wanted to try to manually upload with my ftp client Coreftp
    i exported the html files to a local folder this took in itself 8 minutes
    i copied the index_htm_files and web pages across in the ftp client and
    the index_htm_files folder has over 7,000 items its still uploading this folder and thats already 15 minutes
    and still reading 3,000 to go?
    what have i done wrong? this way will take longer than if i use Xara ftp publishing?
    I must be doing something seriously wrong here? the website is over 4GB
    if all else fails i can live with uploads speeds of 18 minutes

Please help!!
    Kind regards
    Condor
    Condor, no website deserves to be 4GB.

Have you, at any point, included a video, even if you subsequently removed it from the design?
    If so, it is probably still being uploaded.
    Look in %localappdata%\Temp\XaraTempSupportFolders\. There could be a sub-folder with the mp4 lurking therein.
    Just delete it or even the sub-folder.

If you have saved your XAR (WEB) as <filename>.xar (.web), any external assets are then saved into <filename>_xar_files folder (_web_files).
    You may also have to purge that folder of the unwanted file.

81 pages is not that massive but if you have a repeating NavBar with 20 top-level menu items, you soon get 3,240 separate images.
    I shun Xara NavBars, unless for small and limited use.

In your local export, open the index_htm_files folder and order by descending filesize.
    What is the largest file?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn,

No video's the largest file in index_htm_files is 500kb x approx 5 the rest are between 10kb and 80kb some odd ones at 119kb and a few at 240kb the website is romseyreclamation.com i nearly always optimise images and xara automatically rescales them to 96kb the website is very heavy with images.. i can live with the 18 minutes up load time if thats the best i can get. all my other sites do load very well indeed so cant complain too much just wondered if there was something i was doing wrong to make it slower?

thanks for your guidance much appreciated i will check those locations you suggested too
    have to go now for evening meal

kind regards

Condor

Hi Acorn,

No video's the largest file in index_htm_files is 500kb x approx 5 the rest are between 10kb and 80kb some odd ones at 119kb and a few at 240kb the website is romseyreclamation.com i nearly always optimise images and xara automatically rescales them to 96kb the website is very heavy with images.. i can live with the 18 minutes up load time if thats the best i can get. all my other sites do load very well indeed so cant complain too much just wondered if there was something i was doing wrong to make it slower?

thanks for your guidance much appreciated i will check those locations you suggested too
    have to go now for evening meal

kind regards

Condor
    Condor, I chose https://romseyreclamation.com/unusual%20gifts.htm at random.

In it, you have 66 Gifts.
    Each is a HighSlider.
    You have a Variant.
    You are using Retina (@2x).
    This one page therefore has 396 images to handle.
    Add in another 56 for navigation and page furniture.

Every change you make Xara is renumbering the images so the upload is never going to be quick.
    They presently start at 51.png through to 1747071.jpg; a total of 7,461 images.

You have two approaches.
    The first is simple but tedious: add an Image Filename to each product image.
    Once added, the name ought not to change so the Publish cycle after the first will be dramatically faster.

The second is to consider moving all your items into ECWID.
    This would take a lot of planning and might be for the future.

Acorn

Condor, I chose https://romseyreclamation.com/unusual%20gifts.htm at random.

In it, you have 66 Gifts.
    Each is a HighSlider.
    You have a Variant.
    You are using Retina (@2x).
    This one page therefore has 396 images to handle.
    Add in another 56 for navigation and page furniture.

Every change you make Xara is renumbering the images so the upload is never going to be quick.
    They presently start at 51.png through to 1747071.jpg; a total of 7,461 images.

You have two approaches.
    The first is simple but tedious: add an Image Filename to each product image.
    Once added, the name ought not to change so the Publish cycle after the first will be dramatically faster.

The second is to consider moving all your items into ECWID.
    This would take a lot of planning and might be for the future.

Acorn
    Thank you for this in depth analysis amazing how you can do this!!

How do i add an image filename you mean right click each image and in web properties>image under Caption (alt Text)
    there is a field> Image Filename.

This is beyond tedious more like soul destoying and would take me weeks
    to accomplish, is it worth it? i guess i could start one page at a time until all images are renamed.

I thought Ecwid was for ecommerce Romsey do not sell online items too heavy delivery/collection only

Wow!! Wow!! the tasks you need to do in order to make
    this software function is pretty amazing - had i known this i could have entered the filename
    when i started adding the images when building the site. something i wont forget for future site builds.
    and renaming all images with unique names is also a task in itself so i dont end up duplicationg any names.

Have now inserted two 8GB cards now running with 16GB still showing 94% (but only for a short while) when uploading website
    the upload is significantly faster around 10 minutes now excellent
    thank you for your help
    Kind regards
    Condor

How do i add an image filename you mean right click each image and in web properties>image under Caption (alt Text)
    there is a field> Image Filename.
    I thought Ecwid was for ecommerce Romsey do not sell online items too heavy delivery/collection only
    ...and renaming all images with unique names is also a task in itself so i dont end up duplicationg any names.
    Kind regards Condor
    Condor, you are welcome.

Yes, use Image Filename. The latest version (XPro+v21.6 at least) has a Use photo filename button, which would be quicker.
    If you have any duplication, Xara will add a suffix number. It has a Bug in that the suffices change every time you Preview so Save, Close, re-open and Export Website/Publish as this resets the numbering.
    At least only the duplicated images might end up being re-published.

ECWID can ask for the Company Name and VAT Number as well as a Mobile Number so any issues could be sorted.
    It was a passing suggestion as new stock and changing prices is always going to require a xara republish; ECWID would be cleaner.

Acorn

Condor, you are welcome.

Yes, use Image Filename. The latest version (XPro+v21.6 at least) has a Use photo filename button, which would be quicker.
    If you have any duplication, Xara will add a suffix number. It has a Bug in that the suffices change every time you Preview so Save, Close, re-open and Export Website/Publish as this resets the numbering.
    At least only the duplicated images might end up being re-published.

ECWID can ask for the Company Name and VAT Number as well as a Mobile Number so any issues could be sorted.
    It was a passing suggestion as new stock and changing prices is always going to require a xara republish; ECWID would be cleaner.

Acorn
    Hi Acorn,

All understood, this is brilliant help I cannot thank you enough.

Since I upgraded to 16GB RAM my XWD 17 pro works so much easier
    smoother and saves quicker and much faster publishing now. A real result.
    I will look into Ecwid. thanks again for all your suggestions and advice.

Just spent £80 on the ram upgrade, so I will postpone the upgrade version XPro+v21.6
    for now.

Kindest regards
    Condor