Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default How to make a pop-up pop up

On a number of pages in my current project, I have sound files. These are placed on the relevant pages using the import method described in the manual.

They do not play automatically but the user has to click on the start button on the windows player. When that is done I want a pop-up text widget to pop up - it describes the limitations of the recording and playback. This should be on the top of all other elements on the screen and disappear either after a certain time has elapsed, or when the sound file finishes, or the user clicks elsewhere on the page.

I'm having trouble making it work.

Can someone please tell me:

1 In which section/layer I should place the pop-up

2 How I trigger the pop-up to appear as the sound file is triggered.

Many thanks

Flip

Default Re: How to make a pop-up pop up

flip, I deleted your last Post as you tweaked it away it was now an orphan. It happens all the time.

Your ask is not that simple.

You need a trigger for when the audio file has been played.
    Is that just the once?
    Must it start at 00:00 or at any play time?
    Is the pop-up a one-off? Never appearing again?

None is easy in native Xara and would require coding.

My suggestion:
    Make the Player dimensions 400 x 200px.
    Give it a Link of javascript: ;
    Make your pop-up 380 x 160px.
    Put the pop-up on the MouseOver and align to make it appear as a panel.

When you hover over the audio controls, the pop-up appears, the controls still function.

Xara - Audio Panel.xar

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn, many thanks for a fast and comprehensive response. I'd really prefer to avoid coding.

I'll try another approach using the resources within Xara that I'm able to understand. I'll report my progress in case it helps others.

My website is designed to display and sell hand-painted guitars. The artwork can be appreciated and evaluated on the site but I feel it's important that prospective purchasers can also hear the sounds.

Of course, played over computer speakers, tablets or telephones the quality can't be a true representation but I feel it's important that people can make relative evaluations between different instruments and also hear the range of tones my instruments can produce (since we modify the electrics.

The pop-up is intended to explain this objective and limitation.

I'm really grateful to you for your help and suggestions.

Flip,

Relatively simple idea is to have a guitar image on the MouseOff layer with short MouseOver description and to create a popup for each guitar with the audio and any other information of your choice:

Attachment 131518. You need to add your own audio track to see it working. Online example here: https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/audioPop/

Any information about the guitar can will be on the popup where the audio is set to auto-start. Closing the popup and the audio happens simultaneously using the link "popup:close"

Gary
    Last edited by Initiostar; 10 February 2022 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Added live demo

Initiostar (Gary) I am very grateful for your suggestion, it is very nearly what I had in mind (and so badly described). I'll action it tomorrow and report back; I'm aware how much others rely on the help given so generously on these pages.

Incidentally the attachment included didn't open correctly though that may have been my ignorance. The online example worked well.

Regards

Flip

Flip,

This is the design file :Image_Popup_Sound_Empty_mp3.xar - you will need to replace Xara Audio Widget with your own mp3 file to see it work.

Gary

Thank you again.

Flip

Both, I took Gary example and reworked it so there is absolutely no code or undocumented features used.

Xara - no code Guitar Sounds.xar

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

My thanks to you both. I've modified your suggestions to suit the overall design and the result is just what I hoped for.

What I notice is that regardless of how the sound clip stops, ie if it's stopped part played or played through completely then cleared from the screen by the user clicking on the red dot, I hear a few notes from the start when the next page is opened regardless of whether it has any sounds on the new page or not. Do you think this is my computer set up (nothing special) or perhaps the clip I'm using - at present for test purposes I have the same clip in each page.

I hope this doesn't sound picky or ungrateful. Even as it is it's just what I wanted.

Thanks

Flip

Quote Originally Posted by flip View Post
    My thanks to you both. I've modified your suggestions to suit the overall design and the result is just what I hoped for.

What I notice is that regardless of how the sound clip stops, ie if it's stopped part played or played through completely then cleared from the screen by the user clicking on the red dot, I hear a few notes from the start when the next page is opened regardless of whether it has any sounds on the new page or not. Do you think this is my computer set up (nothing special) or perhaps the clip I'm using - at present for test purposes I have the same clip in each page.

I hope this doesn't sound picky or ungrateful. Even as it is it's just what I wanted.
    Thanks Flip
    Flip, the best idea would be a link to your site. Send @Initiostar or myself a PM if you don't want others to access it for the moment.

Acorn