Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Lost .XAR File Preview

I have lost the ability to Preview .xar files in Windows File Explorer and the Xara Open File manager. The Xara icon still displays for the file but there is nothing in the Preview window. I am using the latest Pro+ and recently removed Pro ver 18. I suspect the loss is related to the uninstall of Pro ver 18. I am using Win 11. Except for the Preview failure, the program works without error.

I cannot find a way to “Refresh” Pro+ without an uninstall followed by an install since there is no disk.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. -Dan

Default Re: Lost .XAR File Preview

Dan, I know nothing about pro+howe//ver on XDP18 right-click the anywhere on an unused place on the desktop and a menu pops up allowing refresh.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by DanFelix View Post
    I have lost the ability to Preview .xar files in Windows File Explorer and the Xara Open File manager. The Xara icon still displays for the file but there is nothing in the Preview window. I am using the latest Pro+ and recently removed Pro ver 18. I suspect the loss is related to the uninstall of Pro ver 18. I am using Win 11. Except for the Preview failure, the program works without error.
    I cannot find a way to “Refresh” Pro+ without an uninstall followed by an install since there is no disk.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. -Dan
    Dan, I would re-install XDPXv18 regardless of other actions.

There will come a time in the future whn you stop your Xara Clous+ / Pro+ subscription and you will have nothing available to work on your past material.
    I am not saying keep paying Magix (as well). Once you have their XDA, it is yours for permanent use, so a great fall-back.

When you install XPro+, did you run it ever as Admin?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

wizard509: right-click the anywhere on an unused place on the desktop and a menu pops up allowing refresh.
    Not the same refresh. I was looking for a way to refresh the Pro+ install.

Acorn: There will come a time in the future whn (sic) you stop your Xara Clous+ / Pro+ subscription and you will have nothing available to work on your past material.
    Understood, but, if that situation arises it will be catastrophic enough that I will not need either.

Now, is there anyone using Pro+ that does not have any other version of Xara installed and is able to see previews of .xar files in Windows Explorer? That will answer the real question. Thanks.

Hi Dan, if I remember correctly Pro+ on preview opens your default browser. Mine is FireFox. Try changing your default browser and see if this helps.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

dan -are you referring to the windows file explorer view pane.. ie this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2022-02-07 23_51_11-.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	131492

if so it may be a windows issue not a xara one
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Whoops, with you now. I can view preview images of my xar files in File exporer.. However I still have various XDA installed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	176.0 KB 
ID:	131493  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

as do I...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...