Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default How do you make text look like it is rising out of water on a photo?

How do you make text look like it is rising out of water on a photo? I know how to have text look like it is sitting on top of water reflecting down in, but I'd like to have it rising out of the water. Thanks!

Default Re: How do you make text look like it is rising out of water on a photo?

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbird View Post
    How do you make text look like it is rising out of water on a photo? I know how to have text look like it is sitting on top of water reflecting down in, but I'd like to have it rising out of the water. Thanks!
    Split the text along the waterline. Do the same for the water. Put the bottom half behind, fade, skew and for shorten to suggest water distortion. The water then needs some transparency. Clone the top part of the text, flip vertically and fade to blend in.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: How do you make text look like it is rising out of water on a photo?

you may want to add a very slight amount of wave distortion because water is rarely dead still - you can use the magix filters for this in version 18 [but not in pro+ unless xara have come up with a replacement recently]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

unless xara have come up with a replacement recently]
    They have not. The only reason 18 Pro X is still on my computer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Text.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	131471  
    Last edited by gwpriester; 05 February 2022 at 10:30 PM.

Sorry GP your example looks like it's floating on water not rising out of the water.

I would do something along the lines Acorn suggested.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Split text at desired height (straight line tool > select both line and text > ctrl 4)
    Bottom half of text Live Effect Tool > Deformation Filter > Even Waves
    Fiddled with colour and added transparency

Top half, cloned and coloured charcoal, moved a bit to the right
    Added Floor Shadow
    Added a cascading water texture I had hanging around
    Roughly (very roughly) erased the water texture between letters
    Added white line at bottom of letters and feathered
    Felt pleased with myself and made a caramel coffee

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Water.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	131472

This one uses a Text column cloned so that the text can be easily altered.

One line has a Bitmap Fill of the background and this can be moved around.
    The front text has a vertical Linear Colour burn to complete the submerged blend.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Text Floater.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	240.8 KB 
ID:	131473

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Here's my effort:

Name:	export@2x.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	131477  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

And another effort:

Views:	60 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	131479  
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 06 February 2022 at 06:30 PM.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Here's how I went about it. I did make one cock-up in the video, I should have used the mirrored part of the top text, not the bottom half of the text:

VIDEO LINK

Views:	46 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	131480  
    Egg