You can take the engineer out of engineering, but you can't take engineering out of the man - you know what I mean.

I opened a simple svg that had one item in it in Notepad (Installed SVGOMG plugin for chrome form google store, but AVG say's there is malware [could be a false positive - thoughts?]) for comparison.

I'm not up on XML but C, C#, C++ and html are not too bad for me. So I intelligently (if you can call it that) removed lines I felt were not needed. There are 'id equals background' and also id equals 'background 2's' in there plus 'page background' tags. Plus multiple scales etc so removed one line tested it, etc.

Turns out when I remove the defs section out - which holds a url for a css - it works and loads fine.

Anyone know the need/importance of that line? After all the playing about I kept everything but that line (and the upper and lower 'open def' close def' lines.

I imported this file in the past and it worked fine. (to be clear after importing it successfully into Resolve I deleted the svg file but kept the .xar file, so I'm now importing a fresh export of the svg)

Also - both XaraDesPro+ AND resolve have had updates.

So either Xara has now added/altered this line OR Resolve now has issue with this line (where before it overlooked/ignored or handled the line).

I'm an older and bigger fan of xara than Resolve, but as said above having had issues with Xara's .ai export before, kinda points me to think it is Xara.

None of the other test .svg's I download had a line like this, maybe it is useful but not for their context.

If this is a possible bug in Xara export I can raise it to them - so let me know if you know what this line does.

Thanks for all your (everyone above) help.