Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Has svg export changed ?

I having problems importing .svg files into DaVinci Resolve video editor.

I have done it before and it worked fine. But I'm now exporting the same files and it will not import them. But if I download a free .svg file from the web it works fine. Suggesting it's not the importing program but XaraPro+

I started by creating a new graphic and when that did not work I returned to the xara file I had used before. But now it's not loading either. So coming to the conclusion it must be xara.

There are no bitmaps, but I've exported in all the options, in case that makes a difference. I've export page and also selected object only - no difference.

Any thoughts?

Turan

UPDATE: must be xara, as I went on to the online tool and created a star basic shape (where is the drawing tools online!!) and exported that as an svg and it too would not load. So again went to another .svg site and downloaded a random image and it loaded fine.
    Last edited by Turan Mirza; 21 January 2022 at 12:54 PM.

Default Re: Has svg export changed ?

Quote Originally Posted by Turan Mirza View Post
    UPDATE: must be xara, as I went on to the online tool and created a star basic shape (where is the drawing tools online!!) and exported that as an svg and it too would not load.
    So again went to another .svg site and downloaded a random image and it loaded fine.
    Turan, here's a trade - Xara Cloud+ > Shape > Basic > Star: adjust Number of Points to 5. There are only two other controls so its abilities are far less than XPro+.

The trade is "How did you export just this shape as SVG?"
    Could you provide this SVG as I hae no wish to download DaVinci Resolve?

It is possible to mangle an SVG file but I have seen nothing this dramatic.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Turan,

Could you post one of the SVG files that you are having problems with. Maybe one of the members here can try and import into different programs and see if they are getting the same type of error with a different software package.

You could also try Inkscape and see if it will import the file.

Ray

Here is a file I previously imported - just 8 or so weeks ago. It imports back in to a fresh file with no corruption so I don't think is a damaged file. Both Resolve and Xara have updated since I did it last so it could be on the resolve side, but the fact that Resolve takes svg's from other sources suggests Xara svg's have something different.

In the past (a few years now) I've had issue exporting .ai files out of xara and trying to import them into Maxon's C4D.

So, without foundation, always suspect Xara embeds a comment "exported from Xara" [it's the kinda thing I would have done as a software engineer] but it's unexpected and tripping up Resolve.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Just done that - thanks. I don't want anyone to go out of their way. If you don't know Resolve it would take a bit of getting used to - but it is Free to download.

Turan, when I check the SVG in Notepad++, it complains that Line 2: <!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd"> fails with "XML Parsing error line 2 pos 11; // DTD is prohibited.

Until Xara sorts it out, change svg to html
    OR
    Delete Line 2 (and Line 3 if you don't want to know Xara generated it)
    OR
    Drop into SVGOMG and optimise the file: remove doctype; XML instructions; comments.

Try hand (1).svg

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Humm that did not do it either. But I'll check out SVGOMG - it's been a few years since I tinkered, time to get hands dirty. Thanks.

Turan,

I imported your hand file into the following programs without issue: Inkscape, Scribus, Gimp, Krita, and my Xara V18 new update. No problems on any of these. I don't have Affinity so maybe somebody else can check.

Ray

You can take the engineer out of engineering, but you can't take engineering out of the man - you know what I mean.

I opened a simple svg that had one item in it in Notepad (Installed SVGOMG plugin for chrome form google store, but AVG say's there is malware [could be a false positive - thoughts?]) for comparison.

I'm not up on XML but C, C#, C++ and html are not too bad for me. So I intelligently (if you can call it that) removed lines I felt were not needed. There are 'id equals background' and also id equals 'background 2's' in there plus 'page background' tags. Plus multiple scales etc so removed one line tested it, etc.

Turns out when I remove the defs section out - which holds a url for a css - it works and loads fine.

Anyone know the need/importance of that line? After all the playing about I kept everything but that line (and the upper and lower 'open def' close def' lines.

I imported this file in the past and it worked fine. (to be clear after importing it successfully into Resolve I deleted the svg file but kept the .xar file, so I'm now importing a fresh export of the svg)

Also - both XaraDesPro+ AND resolve have had updates.

So either Xara has now added/altered this line OR Resolve now has issue with this line (where before it overlooked/ignored or handled the line).

I'm an older and bigger fan of xara than Resolve, but as said above having had issues with Xara's .ai export before, kinda points me to think it is Xara.

None of the other test .svg's I download had a line like this, maybe it is useful but not for their context.

If this is a possible bug in Xara export I can raise it to them - so let me know if you know what this line does.

Thanks for all your (everyone above) help.

Turan, sorry you have having such grief.

A <defs> block is coding something for later and repeated use.
    It would be accessed with a <use> block.

I can see Xara is including the <defs> to add in a Google Font, in my case, Opens Sans.
    boxy-svg.com can define complex filters with and id and then reference the id in a url.
    If no <use> block or url reference then you can probably remove the <defs>.

I use the svgomg website directly.

For the Xara SVG generator 6.6.0.1, I get no faults.
    I sometimes get the DTD complaint in 6.6.0.6 but the designs still render.
    I have exported Adobe, Inkscape and non-repeating and frankly here is no difference in the SVG code.

AI uses a Comment:
    <!-- Generator: Adobe Illustrator 25.0.0, SVG Export Plug-In . SVG Version: 6.00 Build 0) -->
    Xara does the same:
    <!--Generator: Xara Designer (www.xara.com), SVG filter version: 6.6.0.6-->
    zint.org.uk doesn't have one.

I doubt then that here is a Xara SVG Export fault as I cannot get any load issues in any of the tools I have.

Acorn