Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Has svg export changed ?

I having problems importing .svg files into DaVinci Resolve video editor.

I have done it before and it worked fine. But I'm now exporting the same files and it will not import them. But if I download a free .svg file from the web it works fine. Suggesting it's not the importing program but XaraPro+

I started by creating a new graphic and when that did not work I returned to the xara file I had used before. But now it's not loading either. So coming to the conclusion it must be xara.

There are no bitmaps, but I've exported in all the options, in case that makes a difference. I've export page and also selected object only - no difference.

Any thoughts?

Turan

UPDATE: must be xara, as I went on to the online tool and created a star basic shape (where is the drawing tools online!!) and exported that as an svg and it too would not load. So again went to another .svg site and downloaded a random image and it loaded fine.
    Last edited by Turan Mirza; 21 January 2022 at 11:54 AM.

Default Re: Has svg export changed ?

Quote Originally Posted by Turan Mirza View Post
    UPDATE: must be xara, as I went on to the online tool and created a star basic shape (where is the drawing tools online!!) and exported that as an svg and it too would not load.
    So again went to another .svg site and downloaded a random image and it loaded fine.
    Turan, here's a trade - Xara Cloud+ > Shape > Basic > Star: adjust Number of Points to 5. There are only two other controls so its abilities are far less than XPro+.

The trade is "How did you export just this shape as SVG?"
    Could you provide this SVG as I hae no wish to download DaVinci Resolve?

It is possible to mangle an SVG file but I have seen nothing this dramatic.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Turan,

Could you post one of the SVG files that you are having problems with. Maybe one of the members here can try and import into different programs and see if they are getting the same type of error with a different software package.

You could also try Inkscape and see if it will import the file.

Ray

Just done that - thanks. I don't want anyone to go out of their way. If you don't know Resolve it would take a bit of getting used to - but it is Free to download.

Turan, when I check the SVG in Notepad++, it complains that Line 2: <!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd"> fails with "XML Parsing error line 2 pos 11; // DTD is prohibited.

Until Xara sorts it out, change svg to html
    OR
    Delete Line 2 (and Line 3 if you don't want to know Xara generated it)
    OR
    Drop into SVGOMG and optimise the file: remove doctype; XML instructions; comments.

Try hand (1).svg

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Humm that did not do it either. But I'll check out SVGOMG - it's been a few years since I tinkered, time to get hands dirty. Thanks.

Here is a file I previously imported - just 8 or so weeks ago. It imports back in to a fresh file with no corruption so I don't think is a damaged file. Both Resolve and Xara have updated since I did it last so it could be on the resolve side, but the fact that Resolve takes svg's from other sources suggests Xara svg's have something different.

In the past (a few years now) I've had issue exporting .ai files out of xara and trying to import them into Maxon's C4D.

So, without foundation, always suspect Xara embeds a comment "exported from Xara" [it's the kinda thing I would have done as a software engineer] but it's unexpected and tripping up Resolve.
    Attached Files Attached Files