Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Xara DTP - Double Page Spread

Because basically it sets me back to ground zero. I have to go back and rework the entire text tracking, coloring etc.

Of course, you know the solution to your problem. You just don't like that solution...

It is possible to continue to live in hope Xara will heed your prayers and add Master pages, which, if done with any notion of how document layout works, should solve this issue. However, even if so, there's more to be done to make XDP into a layout application for serious layout work. Would Xara also do these things? I doubt it.

Maybe Master pages (or just some semblance thereof) would suffice for you. But would that ability alone be enough to draw people to XDP for layout work? Does it have applicability to their main emphasis (web-work)? I think so (Serif WebPlus had them...the first YouTube video I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfrKVai32fY).

More to the point re a layout application, Serif PagePlus made great use of Master pages--as does any/every actual layout application.

Anyway, enough blathering. Master pages or the like would be a good addition to XDP.

Of course, you know the solution to your problem. You just don't like that solution...
    I know, I know.

The woman who publishes our local newspaper used QuarkXpress to do the blue prints for a house she had built.

Call me stubborn. I just know Xara and I know how to make it do what I need it to do. InDesign would be world's better, I know, and I even have a copy on my computer. It's just that I do maybe one to two books a year and in the time in between books I'd totally forget what I did the last time.

Interesting read and I see your points Gary. I do a 4 page newsletter for a couple of organizations and use Xara, let alone a book. I’ve used Xara for a number of years, but you bring to the fore one aspect that Xara should be working on. InDesign is your answer and you have it. I wanted something economical and picked up Affinity Publisher for $50, a steal during the covid lock down and it also answer your needs. Heck open source dtp would answer your needs.
    I hope Xara improves in this area for you. I haven’t found any cloud based temps in Xara Pro. Since Xara seems intent on promoting the cloud version, perhaps a shout in that direction may help.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.