Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xara publishes files in htm. Why?

Passing the time in the Canadian province with the most snow. How much snow? That later.
    I’m testing a new product in another platform. But the majority of my work is done in Xara. Upon publish, and then inspection of the files through my service provider, the Xara files are htm, not html.
    Testing from another program showed files that are html. Therefore the html files would not override the htm files.
    Upon deleting a file named index.htm, the html file showed the changes from the test program.

The dumb question of the day, why does Xara publish htm files at the server location, but another program is html.

I think my next stop will the W3schools for the winter months, but for now, more shovelling.
    Thanks all.
    ~Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Default Re: Xara publishes files in htm. Why?

There really is no difference between htm and html. Browsers treat both extensions the same.

The only difference is for some reason, browsers give html precedence over htm. If you have two index files in your root directory, the browser will always load the html file, even if the htm version is newer.

Windows in the earlier days could only support three character file extensions so htm, jpg, etc, whereas Apple could have a longer extension html, jpeg, etc.

If you specifically name your home page index.html then Xara publishing all your website files with the html extension.

Thanks Gary. As always makes a lot of sense. Great tip on publishing index.html. If one used that name, another program that publishes in html would override.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

If one used that name, another program that publishes in html would override.
    You lost me there Bill. More details?

Let’s say you create an index page in Xara with the name index.html as you suggested.

Let’s call the other program Z.

If program Z produced an index.html, that page would override the Xara page I believe.

That would be the clarification. I have a space that I test different programs and different platforms.

Thanks Gary
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

If you have files posted let's say at BillsWebsite.com and the root directory has an index.htm and an index.html, then the browser will load the index.html file. Unless you specifically enter BillsWebsite.com/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    Let’s say you create an index page in Xara with the name index.html as you suggested.

Let’s call the other program Z.

If program Z produced an index.html, that page would override the Xara page I believe.

That would be the clarification. I have a space that I test different programs and different platforms.

Thanks Gary
    with the disclaimer that i do not build websites....

if your target folder is the same for both programs then by default exisiting files in that folder will be overwritten if they have the same name and extension; you may get a prompt to ask for confirmation or you may not, often when uploading to a hosting site you will not, it depends on the settings and operating system

so if you upload a site to your server folder created with program A, and then upload a site created with program B, if they both output index.html then B will take over from A by overwriting the index.html; some systems may convert program A index.html to index.bak or eqivalent, in others you will lose it

is this what you mean?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

The pages will only be overwritten if the names are the same Steve.

Gary, that is what I said:

...then by default exisiting files in that folder will be overwritten if they have the same name and extension...
    and that is what I understood Bill to be asking in that post - two instances of index.html
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

My bad.