Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default copying a selection across multiple layers to the current [active] layer

xara copy/pastes a selection across multiple layers back onto the same layers [layer structure] by default

you can then right-click on one of the pasted selections in the gallery and click Move to Current Layer if you want all the pasted selection on the same layer, which is ok if you are happy with the default as the norm

but if you would rather the selection across layers all went to the current layer by default there is a registry key - change the value from 1 to 0 :

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Xara\XtremePro x64\18\Options\Clipboard\MultiLayerClipboard

[for version 18 - other versions will differ accordingly]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: copying a selection across multiple layers to the current [active] layer

handrawn, I see see some use for people wanting to conflate layers as you have described in the past.

I prefer the default setting.
    If I want to do similar, I just Group and Ungroup.
    All objects have then been moved to the top-most of the selected layers.

Both approaches play havoc on rollover Buttons so those working on webs have to understand the merits and demerits of either.

Thanks for unravelling another Xara Registry setting.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: copying a selection across multiple layers to the current [active] layer

agreed, it is probably because of the buttons etc that it is the default to preserve the layer structure; I didn't really want to comment on that in my post as I don't do websites, and was therefore unsure of the ramifications

group ungroup to the top most selected layer is ok, but the top most selected layer is not necessarily the current/active layer; and sometimes grouping and then ungrouping can cause unwanted changes

resetting the registry key puts it back to how it used to be way back; it is nice to have options
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...