Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default creating a button from a symbol ? possible?

I've followed @acorns instructions re - creating a hamburger menu on a much older thread, but what I'd like to do is create a button from a symbol from the catalogue.

Let's say you bring in a symbol of a martini glass. Here are my steps.

- Import the symbol, and group on the mouseoff layer.
    - clone, and move to the mouseover layer with a different color
    - soft group the symbol from both layers
    - assign the button a web address - billwood.ca / or page 2
    - arrange > create nav bar

and ..... fail. Cant create from arrange> what step did I miss? I've got the rollover working.

Essentially I'd like to make a button from the martini glass. Stumped again in the elementary stages.

martini button.xar
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Lightbulb Re: creating a button from a symbol ? possible?

Bill, Xara Buttons are built as a Text Column (usually centred), grouped with a back Shape.
    Clone that, move to MouseOver and tweak colours, etc.
    Soft-group then Create NavBar appears.

In other words, put a mostly transparent blob behind a Text Column...

If you can wrap your head around this approach:
    • Add Glass symbol to Text Line (radical).
    • Clone, Convert to Editable Shapes and Put Behind.
    • Group both.
    • Clone, move to MouseOver layer.
    • Soft-Group.
    • Create NavBar.
    • You can actually just add anything to the MouseOver layer and provided it has a 50% overlap with the symbol, it will become the rollover.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 09 January 2022 at 08:55 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: creating a button from a symbol ? possible?

Ah! I didn't know the text thing @acorn. So in the case of a Hamburger drop down menu, which most modern phones are using now, you drew a box, then produced three lines of (text) but that would mean like this ____. then adjusted the line width, and cloned the line. Impressive. I've added your file from a year ago. I assumed you could draw a hamburger icon, BUT there must be some kind of relation to text within a box. You could make the box transparent as well.

Xara - Hamburger Menu.xar
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Bill - I am pretty sure what you are suggesting will work. But the best way to find out is to TRY IT.

Acorn - I don't think Bill wants to create a nav bar. Just a button that links to something or somewhere.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Bill - I am pretty sure what you are suggesting will work. But the best way to find out is to TRY IT.
    Acorn - I don't think Bill wants to create a nav bar. Just a button that links to something or somewhere.
    Gary, the give-away was "nav bar" & "hamburger menu" in his first Post and in the offered design file.

@bwood - Bill, I did mention "transparent blob", so yes. In your design file, again yes, just make the shapes transparent. Earlier versions need the shape to be 99.5% transparent else if is never published.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

@acorn. Acorn in your example did you draw the 3 lines to create the hamburger within a text block, or did you or use the underscore. I realize there has to be a text component, but unsure how you created the 3 lines in your example. Thanks!
    W
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Bill, here is a collection of Glyph NavBars for you to play with.

The menu items describe how each is assembled.

Glyph NavBars.xar

I don't use the Xara Navbar approach much as it creates images and the sub-menu options are dire.

Acorn

@acorn. Fantastic Acorn. What a resource to TG you are. I look forward to your book!
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

That's a nice tut and resource in one, Acorn. Thanks for sharing.

It’s something that Xara does not mention on button construction. They DO say that text is part of a button, they DONT say that text must be in the button.
    @acorn mentions that text can be a space which is the best way if you don’t want text to appear.
    I do prefer a drop down layer from a symbol but I digress.
    In the future perhaps Xara can add a ready made hamburger button in their catalogue. I have a feeling that button to copy may be in the cloud section of Magix.
    Hamburger buttons are a trend atm, and of course the high percentage of phone users.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design