Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Repeating objects not repeating?

Before I spend forever trying to figure this out...

I'm trying to repeat a button across multiple pages. I click the object, right click, repeating object, repeat on all pages. The little star appears on the right of the button. But when I go to the other pages, the button has not repeated. No error. Nothing. The object does not appear in the variants in the layer gallery either.

Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong?

Default Re: Repeating objects not repeating?

Make sure your repeating object is on the mouse off layer.

Because it is a button, it is soft grouped and spread across mouse off and mouse over. I have mouse over invisible, and am clicking on mouse off. Is there another way I should be doing this?

In the Page and Layer Gallery - click the S next to the Mouse Off layer to isolate just that layer (or any other layer) and make sure there is content there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	isolate layer.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	131341  

Quote Originally Posted by WideEyedLife View Post
    Because it is a button, it is soft grouped and spread across mouse off and mouse over. I have mouse over invisible, and am clicking on mouse off. Is there another way I should be doing this?
    WEL, you are totally correct.

When you pick a button, all its grouped and soft-grouped shapes/text are selected across MouseOff, MouseOver & MouseDown layers, hidden or not.
    Right-click pick Repeating object > Repeat on all pages should work as does Select > Arrange > Repeating object > Repeat on all pages.

On the off-chance, restart your application, running as Administrator. This registers all DLLs properly, in case your install hit a bump.

If you go to another page there may be a small delay while the repeat is added.
    It is always on top too so it ought to be visible.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks everyone for helping me through this...

So, as far as I can tell, I'm doing all the things the right way. Still no success. Also, restarted the application running as admin. No success. Closed the other version of Xara I had open, restarted the computer, opened only Xara Pro X/18 as admin. Still no success.

If anyone has time, perhaps they could take a look at the file for me? I'm trying to repeat buttons from Main to the other 2 variants.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gbqp24nzcx...ttons.xar?dl=0

Also, I included a button that I "shared to all variants" that is offset and wonky (I couldn't tell if "variant sharing" of buttons was the right way to share buttons anyway, or if "repeat object" buttons was a better strategy. And then I paused the research entirely when "share to all variants" broke the visualization of the button anyway.) Not sure if that operation "sharing to all variants" is working right, either.

I'd appreciate any feedback!

WEL, I have yet to check your "wonky" button but the main issue is that a Repeating object cannot be added directly to a Variant.

What you have to do is set it repeating on Main, copy across to each Variant from the first page.
    At this point the * may still show on the Variant's button (or NavBar) so you remove the repeat and add it back.
    https://helpandsupport.xara.com/xara...g_objects.html

Can you describe what is "wonky"?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat