Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Locking (Repeating) graphics on SOME pages.

Salut tu le monde. I am new here (my first post) and I'm not going to go through almost 20,000 threads to see if this has been covered before. I'm building a site a in four different languages and have placed a graphic of a french, italian and german flag on the index_en page, and have linked the flags on this page to index_fr etc. The thing is, when I place these flags on index_en and paste them to index_fr etc. they end up placed incorrectly. No point repeating on all pages as this is not necessary. I tried a smart shape and arranged the flags on this and then pasted...still the flags are misaligned. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I found this forum by googling a question about uploading a website in different languages. Here, I am still a little confused. As people would know, Xara has a pop up stating that the first, or index page must be named 'index.htm' I think - as search engines will list this as the first page. I was imagining that people in Germany, for example, would automatically land on the '.index' or '_index' en page, see the German flag and access the other German pages from there.

What I have done is made separate .fr, .it and .gr index pages (in case someone searches for my site in one of these countries so they'll land on the index page in their language and follow the menu links from there. Will the first method work or both? Everthing has been translated and is almost ready to go, so I'm assuming at most I'll just have to do a little page re-naming. Thanks in advance for any help.

- Hugh
    Last edited by gwpriester; 03 January 2022 at 02:16 PM.

Default Re: Locking (Reprating) graphics on SOME pages.

Hello Hugh and welcome to TalkGraphics.

The way that I would tackle this is to create sub-folders under your root folder (usually public_html)

So let's say your root site is the English version. You create the English version of the site in Xara and publish it to your root folder, public_html.

You then create a French version of the site in Xara and publish this to a sub-folder 'french', same for 'german' & 'italy'.

The image flags on your root folder will link to either /french/index.htm, /german/index.htm or /italy/index.htm subfolders.

This is only one way. There is no reason why you can't create index-fr, index-ge or index-it files

Ignore Xara's warning, it's only a guidance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EXPORT@2x.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	131291  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hello Hugh and welcome to TalkGraphics.

The way that I would tackle this is to create sub-folders under your root folder (usually public_html)

So let's say your root site is the English version. You create the English version of the site in Xara and publish it to your root folder, public_html.

You then create a French version of the site in Xara and publish this to a sub-folder 'french', same for 'german' & 'italy'.

The image flags on your root folder will link to either /french/index.htm, /german/index.htm or /italy/index.htm subfolders.

This is only one way. There is no reason why you can't create index-fr, index-ge or index-it files

Ignore Xara's warning, it's only a guidance.
    Thanks for welcoming me to the fold, Egg Bramhill. I wasn't expecting an answer so soon. You are right - you're suggestion is only one way. Before taking a brief nap I managed to place the three flags where I wanted them on the en_index page, added the links and then repeated them to ALL pages (24 mind you). Of course I only need the flag (links) to the index page of each repesctive country. Then it was a time consuming exercise deleting the flags on the pages where I didn't need them - each time saving ang checking the flags hadn't gone sliding about. They didn't! I did a virtual upload via Xara and everything was fine. Thanks for your suggestion, though. I'll save it because I think it'll be less time consuming than my method when I go fully global - what the hell is Igbo? - Hugh

what the hell is Igbo? - Hugh
    I've no idea Hugh, where is this mentioned?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I've no idea Hugh, where is this mentioned?
    Thanks again for your help, Mr. Bramhill. 'Twas just a joke. Have been using the free vers. of Systran to trans. it. and .de mon francais suffices. Have been using word hippo too - it's vg. On Systran Igbo is a language! Probably comes before Icelandic. Take care, Hugh.

Igbo
    [ˈēˌbō]
    NOUN
    a member of a people of southeastern Nigeria.
    the language of the Igbo, belonging to the Kwa group.
    ADJECTIVE
    relating to the Igbo or their language.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Well at least their flag is easy to draw Keith
    Egg

What Video File Extensions will Web Designer Premium 18 Accept?

Originally used AVIs they worked. Have a new video editor and used this to export to MP4s (don't know whether this is better quality than AVIs)...used the highest settings in editor for MP4, perhaps this is the problem. Xara says no. Really? MP4s? Have all the updates - and I'm sure when I boot it up later there'll be more of the damn things. At the end of the day if I have to, I'll accept the AVIs. But I want the best quality. My site is in four languages...it's taken ages to assemble and it's annoying when you drag and drop a video and it can't be done. Also, aparrently I've used incorrect characters for the video titles. Weird. They're the same characters as the AVI files.

And yes. I know the above has likely been covered in another thread or the FAQs. But after trawling through a 600 page help PDF and not finding an answer, well, I'm here. Would much rather communicate with someone than google away and probaly get even more confused.

Finally, thanks to Egg Bramhill - for his earlier answer to a previous query (which worked) and ss-kalm who explained to me what Igbo is.

Looks like I can't include a signature, so here's my gmail one: 'I am the greatest composer ever born in Australia'. I know that's not much of a claim because, you know, it's only Australia.

Oh. If you're reading this from France, désolé pour les sous-marins.

Having a rant does wonders for the soul but rarely gets the answer from TG.

What is your video editor?
    In what way does Xara say "no"?
    What "updates" for which product are you referring to?
    What titles are being rejected?

Example files are always helpful.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

hugh - I have deleted your last post. I don't have to say why.