Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default computer problems

My laptop is acting very weird when I turned it on I only got a black screen so I restarted it several times the same thing so I closed the lid and about an hour later opened it and lo and behold the screen was nice and bright like it should be so just in case this thing is on it's way out and I'm not heard from for a while that means this machine bit the dust and I need to replace it, fortunately, I have the scribble lines done I just need to decide which of the 3 to submit.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Default Re: computer problems

It might be the battery Larry. Early in the year, my wife's HP which was about five years old and that was plugged in all the time, started getting very very slow. I took it into Best Buy and they said we were lucky the battery did not explode. The bottom of the laptop had swollen a lot from the expanding battery. We were lucky and they were able to transfer the data from the old hard drive onto the new computer that they charged us top dollar for.

Something to check out.

My laptop is acting very weird when I turned it on I only got a black screen so I restarted it several times the same thing so I closed the lid and about an hour later opened it and lo and behold the screen was nice and bright like it should be so just in case this thing is on it's way out and I'm not heard from for a while that means this machine bit the dust and I need to replace it
    I dunno Gary I tried, but that doesn't seem to be the same problem my battery is external and plugged in but I should get it tested to find out for sure if it has gone bad.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Yeah, that's the thing. Plugging it in is part of the problem (and do get it checked and back up your data just to be on the safe side). The tech as Best Buy explained that just like cell phone, laptops are meant to run on batteries. They suggested for a few hours a week to run it unplugged and to not keep it always plugged in.

OkeDoke GP thank you very much

the screen could have been black for while if windows was updating, and your computer needed a lot of memory to do the update - it shuts down things that take a lot of memory such as the screen if that happens

the fact that you could restart the computer does not sound like a battery issue to me; if windows 10 dectects battery power that low in a laptop, it usually shuts down and stays shut down until you plug it into a socket, when it can power up from the socket as normal as well as charge

so you may just have needed to wait for the updating to finish during that hour

do get your computer checked like gary said; if it is the battery it may need replacing, if it was an update it may mean some other hardare is not working as it should
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thank you I'm thinking it must be the battery for one thing.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

One could always check the ole CMOS battery... laptops generally put more use on that battery than do desktops... cheers

It is also recommended that every couple of months, if not every month, you run the battery down completely.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

thats right

and it is common for windows to be set up by default so as to shut the laptop down before it's battery is completely discharged; so the geek approach would be to set up a power plan specially for that once a month run, with no sleep or hibernation set, monitor on continuous [but low], and leave it overnight to discharge
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...