Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Error Message opening .xar file

Hi

Has anyone seen error message "Can't Open That File Type?" I'm trying to open a .xar file from within the programme. I wonder if it's corrupted. Do you know if there's any way of restoring it?

C

Default Re: Error Message opening .xar file

Hi Steelypan, yes I run into this quite often. My work-around is to drag and drop the .xar file onto the Xara pages title bar. I've no idea why this works when opening a .xar file doesn't but give it a try. ;-)
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg. Thanks very mucy for the reply. I've just tried it - dragging the file onto the page tabs bar. I'm still gettting the error message. It's frustrating when it's an important document! Always the way eh? Thanks again.

If you open Xara and go to: Utilities > Options > Backups (tab) it will tell you where your backups are stored. If the document had been saved, all you need do is look for the name. If never saved, you'll have to look for 'untitled' and guess the date.

There used to be a utility that could fix corrupted files. Let me see if I can track it down.

did you try dragging it onto the UI title bar rather than tabs ?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes, as HD says.
    Gary I think this is what you're after:
    LINK
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg - thanks for this. Unfortunately when I click the link for the expander.xar file from the above link, I get a message saying access is forbidden - I don't have permission to access the file.

Hi Chris - thanks for this. Sadly I'm using a new laptop - so all the old backup files are missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Yes, as HD says.
    Gary I think this is what you're after:
    LINK
    Hi Egg

Thanks! I managed to download the app from a previous thread I found. My DOS knowledge isn't great. Can you help with the following:
    1. Where do I locate the downloaded ExpandXar.exe? Is that important?
    2. I've created a folder on the C: drive called Xara in which I've put the corrupt file, and used the CMD prompt to change the directory to this folder. I've named my corrupt file "fix.xar"
    3. What do I name the <output>? Do I just create a random name, and do I add the extension .xar?

Sorry for the questions, I'm just not sure how to follow the instructions from the original thread!

Steelypan