Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down XDPX18 picture resizing frame invisible, drag and drop no go

I'm now using XDPX 18.5.0.62892 on a new PC and am having little luck resizing pictures. When I can drop, or I import, a picture it has a dashed blue and white frame with various handles. As soon as I click on one of the four resize handles the frame and handles disappear and the picture grows slightly, I assume, by the width of the frame. I can then drag the (invisible) handle to 'resize' (I prefer crop) the picture, but I get no visible line showing me where I am. Same problem dragging a corner dot to stretch it. Is this a bug or have the programmers lost their minds? It is totally unuseable in this state! I've been cropping pics this way for years with great accuracy and ease. Now it's kaput!

I'm fully aware that I can use the Clip function. It has a less gaudy, visible frame with grid, as well as showing the full picture with a translucent mask but I want to use the convenient resize+crop function they've provided. Trouble is it seems to be hit and miss as far as accuracy goes. I've scanned the forum looking for a fix without luck. Does anyone know how to overcome this?

I'm also having issues dragging pictures in from Windows Explorer. Sometimes I just get the very annoying little circle with a slash to tell me I can't do it. Dragging and dropping the exact same pics into Affinity Photo or Paintshop Pro works perfectly as does importing the same pics into XDPX18. Very time-wasting, frustrating and disappointing. I have run XDPX18 as administrator with no change in it's bad behaviour.

Default Re: XDPX18 picture resizing frame invisible, drag and drop no go

Is this a bug or have the programmers lost their minds?
    xara have completlely redesigned the way boundary handles work

for those who don't like it, such as me, there is a registry key change to revert it back to the old handles see Eva-K's post #10 here:

https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...436#post628436

you may also need to make sure the [new] show selection bounds handles button, leftmost on selection tool infobar, is clicked

also you may find right clicking the lock aspect ratio padlock on the info bar and deciding whether you prefer behaviour with smart transform on or off helpful
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Things no longer snap to objects when resizing either. I miss that a lot, and whinged about it well over a year ago. Nobody else has ever mentioned it though, so it must be me that's just sulky.

you will still be stuck with the new handles in some tools so it's as well to remember that they are now not all doing the same thing

@chris - it still seems to works ok with the new handles off
    Nothing lasts forever...

jaydear, I think you have not grasped the nuances of the new UI. @handrawn has covered most of it and @Chris M missed the toggle trick.

Drop an image onto the design page.
    You should get a top-left Blue rounding control, a top-right Rotate control and a bottom-right Resize control.
    In this arrangement, the middle control bars disappear when click-dragged and do not snap to anything.
    You are also screwed around with the setting Smart transform is at.

You also have a toggle mode.
    If you simply click inside the image, you get eight click-drag controls that do snap.
    The controls disappear but so did the old-style ones.

I always have Smart transform off and use the Alt key to toggle my required actions.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    You also have a toggle mode.
    If you simply click inside the image, you get eight click-drag controls that do snap.
    The controls disappear but so did the old-style ones.
    Well, that's unbelievable. After all this time, you'd think I would have done that by accident and gone 'hang on a minute' and worked it out.
    These handles have been discussed many times, I'll bet this very thing has been discussed and my brain said 'I'll not absorb that. Nothing to see here'.

The amount of times I've eye-balled it, turned off Aspect Ratio, checked the height/width of the adjacent object, manually typed in the same size, then turned Aspect ratio back on again...and all I had to do was click the stupid thing???? I'm going to be petulant for at least a day or two.

Thanks everyone. I'll try all of these, see what works for me and report back. At this point though I still can't imagine how not being able to see the bounds and results of what you're doing, as the default, was even considered - may as well be working with the monitor turned off . I will work through this though - I have to - but it'll take some time to get re-familiarised.

Chris - if it makes you feel better I once moaned at xara about new layers always being placed at the top of the stack only to be told by Gerry that all I had to do was right click a layer in the gallery and click new layer there... doh
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by jaydear View Post
    Thanks everyone. I'll try all of these, see what works for me and report back. At this point though I still can't imagine how not being able to see the bounds and results of what you're doing, as the default, was even considered - may as well be working with the monitor turned off . I will work through this though - I have to - but it'll take some time to get re-familiarised.
    I have checked back to XX5 and the bounding box has always disappeared with click drags on shapes and images.
    The difference is old-school only showed the eight black square controls, now you have a dashed (or dash it!) fence as well as a stupid picture hook (rotate0 that all disappear.

The resize on click of a control is random is is probably a Bug.

Your other concern about dragging and dropping images from Windows Explorer happens to me sometimes if I am accessing my phone. I think Xara does not recognise some drives. Does it work if you stage onto the Desktop and then into your XDA?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Chris - if it makes you feel better I once moaned at xara about new layers always being placed at the top of the stack only to be told by Gerry that all I had to do was right click a layer in the gallery and click new layer there... doh
    I'm still sulking, so no, no it doesn't make me feel better. Might do in a day or two though. I'll pop back and let you know.