Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Nav bar warning "You have at least one button with both a link and a menu

Acorn, I have a reason to my madness. Some might not want to go to one page, then another and another to see all my dogs, or just know they want to see "Emerald's" page.

Can you show me a site like what you are sharing with me to do? Remember, I'm visual... I like some of your suggestions!

Not sure what "text" headings mean... or even buttons....show me..please..

Sue

Default Re: Nav bar warning "You have at least one button with both a link and a menu

Sue, a Button is just a blob with a Link; it goes to one place.
    A Text heading, is text with a Link that also goes to one place. Such a Link can have Mouse Off, Over and Visited colour so acts like a button.

You already have the start of things with My Beardies.
    Say, it was a Text Link to that page, you have a quick way to Tootsie in the image but not the name.
    I would add both, for those who are visual and those who follow the words.
    When in the Toosie page, you need a text line (breadcrumb) that states My Beardies (with a backlink) > Tootsie (with no link). The Tootsie page does not open when you click the image, it still goes to Emerald's.
    On Tootsie's page, you then add Text Links, like View Emerald & View Sapp...
    Presently, you can go down but must use the menu to go up, left and right. Left/right ae problemsatic has you need to know whwre you are to go up one level to then pick left or right.

About our Litters is a dead page with no other site links from it.
    You need the five related pages with links to them.
    Eventually, you will have a page with a breadcrumb: Litters > Emerald's Litter 2021 > About Z-Sire > Z's Sire-Dame-GrandDam, where all the text headings (or buttons) have links to allow you to move up the tree.

Every page needs to have a breadcrumb trail to go back to the top.
    Currently, your menu is failing to go to the right pages or opens a new Tab in a number of spots and without this type of validation, you will struggle.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks, Acorn. You just caught a few things that I was doing/adding that I hadn't finished, like the Tootsie picture linking to Emerald...I copied and pasted Emerald's picture and then had to find a picture of Tootsie and had just done that page and forgot to relink to the right page as Tootsie's page hadn't even been started. Her page has blank spots for pictures, waiting for me to find the cute ones to share..lol

I think if I put link like "back" or arrows to go back and forth, that would make more sense to me. I get that these pages should be easier to just follow from one to another..agree!

Some of this site is so big and I will work on it being more fluid like that. Thanks!

Sue

I'm with you when you say you're a visual person, Sue.

I started trying to write how I'd trim down the menus and gave up. I then decided to do a couple of blank pages, and one thing lead to another. I would like to have tidied it up, but the phone finally rang, so I'm off to earn some pennies instead.

>>> Bearded Collies.web <<<

Info Re: Nav bar warning "You have at least one button with both a link and a menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    I'm with you when you say you're a visual person, Sue.
    I started trying to write how I'd trim down the menus and gave up. I then decided to do a couple of blank pages, and one thing lead to another. I would like to have tidied it up, but the phone finally rang, so I'm off to earn some pennies instead.
    >>> Bearded Collies.web <<<
    Chris, I have shamelessly lifted your offering and placed my menu structure into it.

Beardies - Acorn Menu.web

I liked your active page under-bar.
    I took the sub-menus to from a tree structure to reflect the pedigree approach that Sue should understand.
    I placed the Page Title above the menubar to focus the viewer.
    I blended in the top image to the Pasteboard and the Stretch rectangle.

The aim was to offer a cleaner presentation with a structure that can grow with additional content.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks Chris and Acorn. Wow, now I "get" what you are talking about. Thank you both for contributing to helping me "see" what you were saying. I LOVE IT!

1 more question: How do I do the "jump" to the content?" I've never done that. Is that an "anchor"?

And then upon combining those pages together, like Emerald's, and linking to the content, what's the best way to help do the SEO stuff? I always thought that having one page for each would help SEO..I'm guessing maybe not?

You are just the BESTEST ever! You taking the time to show me is just awesome. Thank you so very much!

Quote Originally Posted by SueB View Post
    1 more question: How do I do the "jump" to the content?" I've never done that. Is that an "anchor"?
    And then upon combining those pages together, like Emerald's, and linking to the content, what's the best way to help do the SEO stuff? I always thought that having one page for each would help SEO..I'm guessing maybe not?
    Sue, if you go Beardies > Emerald . (sticky) Emerald, the links Chris put there are Anchors.

Select a Shape or word and in Names, type in something relevant.
    This is now a place on your page that has an Anchor.
    If you have the page URL than adding <url>#yourAnchorName will jump to the Anchor yourAnchorName.

In your menu, you would select the text and then use Web Properties > Link > Link to anchor: yourAnchorName.
    When you click on this text, the page jumps to the anchored place.

To "do SEO stuff", mainly ignore it.
    Each page should have its own Page title - Web Properties > Page > Page title.
    Describe the page in around 30 words that uses similar words that are on the page already.
    By all means, add in a few Keywords.
    Each page should have mainly different detail.
    Do include one Heading 1 - I did for the Page Title on the page.
    Using Heading 2 and Heading 3, adds some structure.
    Always add Alt Text to your key pictures.
    Try also giving them an Image filename.

Be consistent, be accurate, be thorough.
    Do this and SEO fades into the background as you ae designing everything properly.

I focus more on Accessibility, as this is more important and do it right brings your SEO along.
    In Preview, press F12 and click on Lighthouse > Generate report.
    This will tell you what it thinks your SEO is like, with suggestions.

Acorn

Now that's a lot of purple.

Jumping to certain content:
    Name an object you want to jump to. In this case I used the respective title bars, Information and Hollywood Actor. (select object - Utilities > Names)
    Select text or an object and Utilities > Web Properties > Link To Anchor (radio button) and using the drop-down menu choose the name you want to jump to

The ancestry tree effect looks great and fits the subject perfectly. I, personally, don't like the sticky menu box on Emerald's page now I've seen it a few times. And that purple...so much...purple

Chris, agree, too much purple...but it's okay..I can figure that part out as I go along.

I'm confused, Acorn. If I combine all the "Emerald" pages to one page, then how would I link to each title, page when it's one page now?

Chris, I see a few of the names there in the drop-down menu to choose from but nothing there that's one of my pages. So obviously, I'm missing how to change things and do the anchor.

I like the idea of combining each dog's thing together, but am confused about then loading time, length of pages..maybe I don't need to do that and then I'm really lost!

I looked at your anchor, I get that some of it. When I try to view more of what Chris did by looking at the anchor, I don't see anything in there, like "information."

And Acorn, I'm assuming and maybe wrong that my page names then need to be with a "#" ahead of the name? I can't find anchor names as an example on Chris's that he shared.

Lost again....

On Emerald's page, if you select the bar Hollywood Actor and Utilities > Names, you will see it is named 'actor'.
    Now, click any object (the photo with the sheep for example) and Utilities > Web Properties > Link To Anchor (radio button) and the drop-down box. You will see 'actor'.

I, personally, like to keep content in neat little boxes. Putting everything Emerald related in one section makes sense to me, however, you are right, there may well be too much for a single page. You have a few options, Pop-Up pages using layers, separate pages for certain sections (Sire/Dam for instance) or even sub sites, but that's a whole new kettle of Beardies.
    The linking would be the same, whichever route you choose.
    All on one page? - Link To Anchor
    Separate Pages? - Link To Page
    Pop-up layers? - Link to Layer
    Last edited by Chris M; 13 December 2021 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Typo