Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Nav bar warning "You have at least one button with both a link and a menu

Chris, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I've always done separate pages, as my thought was it would help with people trying to find certain things easier in "google."

I was started using Dreamweaver, self-taught. Long story..

I haven't done a pop up...but I will look into what that looks like too. This anchor thing is quite enticing, work in the long wrong..but quite a bit to re-vamp the site. I'm willing to, as I really like what you showed me and how it makes more sense, less complication.

I really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to help me..visualize it and Acorn to help (even if I do get a little lost, cause he's way smarter than I understand sometimes.)

Emerald does not have as many pages I think as "Sapphire" does and that will now need to change too...wow, thank you so much!

Default Re: Nav bar warning "You have at least one button with both a link and a menu

Okay, I lied, one more question...ACORN: On your example that you helped me visual what Chris was doing, how can I then make "Beardies" show the other names below it as links and hide if someone then goes to "Litters" etc?

I've always used Nav bars to do this for me in a way...but I like your way better...or was this just the visual to see that it links to that one page? But could I do a that way, so that if someone wanted to just go to one dog's page, they don't have to go to the one page and then another page??

Got time to help me see how to do this?

Sue
    Last edited by SueB; 13 December 2021 at 09:19 PM.

Acorn may well have turned in for the night.

It looks like he used the same theory as I did. The 'main' menu (Home Beardies Litters Links Contact About Us) is repeated on all pages. The 'sub' menu (Tootsie Emerald Sapphire Ebony Winston) is a separate menu made up of the 5 text and a rectangle background. Create once, then simply copy and paste in place on the pages that need that particular sub menu.

It doesn't get automatically created as it would using a NavBar. You create it manually and have full control of how it looks and behaves. I join Acorn's dislike of the in-built NavBar solution.

Thanks, Chris. Got the idea now....

Would you use this same method for your smart phone/mobile version then?

I'd certainly leave the page construction the same as possible, but I'd use hamburger (stupid name) menus for the mobile site.

I'm heading out for the working day, but I'll have a mess around this evening. I'm thoroughly enjoying myself playing with your Beardies and there's no expectation to do what I suggest, I'm just having fun at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by SueB View Post
    Thanks, Chris. Got the idea now....
    Would you use this same method for your smart phone/mobile version then?
    I would get Main the way you want first.

While I agree a Hamburger might be the first choice, i might consider just a top-level menu and Next/Previous buttons.

This means do everything as pages and avoid Layers.
    You gain in flexing the pages into different arrangements more readily.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I would get Main the way you want first.

While I agree a Hamburger might be the first choice, i might consider just a top-level menu and Next/Previous buttons.

This means do everything as pages and avoid Layers.
    You gain in flexing the pages into different arrangements more readily.

Acorn
    Acorn, what you mean by "everything as pages and avoid layers," is that there would still be some layers, like the background color but not the "mouse over Mouse off" layers and such, correct?

And yes, I have the "hamburger" menu on the mobile site, so I can either do it that way and then try also the next and previous buttons too...

I'm thinking of putting everything into another folder, deleting the mobile and working on the computer site, then adding the variant. Is this what you would do too?

And thanks, Acorn, for piping in. You both are really helping me to refine this rather large site into being a bit easier once done. I love that you are both willing to help someone learn a new method!

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    On Emerald's page, if you select the bar Hollywood Actor and Utilities > Names, you will see it is named 'actor'.
    Now, click any object (the photo with the sheep for example) and Utilities > Web Properties > Link To Anchor (radio button) and the drop-down box. You will see 'actor'.

I, personally, like to keep content in neat little boxes. Putting everything Emerald related in one section makes sense to me, however, you are right, there may well be too much for a single page. You have a few options, Pop-Up pages using layers, separate pages for certain sections (Sire/Dam for instance) or even sub sites, but that's a whole new kettle of Beardies.
    The linking would be the same, whichever route you choose.
    All on one page? - Link To Anchor
    Separate Pages? - Link To Page
    Pop-up layers? - Link to Layer
    Can you explain the "Pop-up layer"? I understand all on one page and separate pages.

Thanks,
    Sue

For the content that isn't the main focus, extra info, an aside or a post script type of thing, you can place a line of text, or an object to act as a link that triggers a Layer.

Layers are created in the Page & Layer Gallery and are hidden until triggered by a link. Open the attached .web and rip apart the last page 'emerald'. Rony and Shelby Ann's pedigree charts are pop-up layers (they would need re-drawing if you wanted to go this route). All 4 Siblings are pop-ups too.

The hardest part was to have the skinny menu for the anchors. I wanted to create something that would be relatively easy to explain should you want to use it. Don't use that menu bar. It doesn't even look very good and has a few fiddly workarounds to make it function. It's rubbish, pretend it isn't there.

>>> Bearded Collies1.web <<<

I concentrated on Emerald and enjoyed playing around with the project. Give Emerald a scratch behind the ear from me next time you see her.

Thanks so much, Chris. I feel encouraged to take this on. I like so much of what you have showed me. Makes so much more sense and ease of flowing! Emerald is a really sweet girlie. I will give her a rub on her ear for you...she loves men! She lives here so she is with me wherever I go pretty much!

Again, so much appreciation for you time and patience with me...
    Sue