Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Annoying Splash Screen

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    No, it isn't the same thing. You hacked a dll. I did not.

So what happens is Xara applications look for splashscreen.bmp in a certain folder. If not found, the Xara applications use the embedded bitmap in the .dll you point out.

Attachment 131143

Just the presence of the so-named .bmp file is all that is needed.
    Agreed, but to be picky, you hacked the '18' file to add your image whereas I just changed the existing image in the bitmap file within the .dll ,
    same meat different gravy.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    out of interest then, why the references to DLL file and backing up ?

you don't need to do that as mike said, simply replace the bitmap and job done [copy old one first if you feel so inclined]
    There is no bitmap in the 18 file to replace so you have to create it.
    I did not realise it was such a simple task in Xara when compared to Photoshop.
    At least, this proves I am not the only one here with a dislike for the generic splash screens .

I'll say no more.
    Last edited by Bob-W; 11 December 2021 at 08:58 PM.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Bob-W View Post
    There is no bitmap in the 18 file to replace so you have to create it.
    I did not realise it was such a simple task in Xara when compared to Photoshop.
    At least, this proves I am not the only one here with a dislike for the generic splash screens .

I'll say no more.
    you would have to create it, even if you were replacing one

Agreed, but to be picky, you hacked the '18' file to add your image whereas I just changed the existing image in the bitmap file within the .dll ,
    same meat different gravy.
    no mike did not say that he said just put a bitmap in the folder, you do not need to hack any file
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Whichever Method used the result is still the same the irritating splash screen image is replaced with one of choice.
    My method worked for me, I'm happy and to be honest that is all that matters.
    End of discussion. (but I'm sure...like the wife.. someone will have to have the last word.)
    Last edited by Bob-W; 12 December 2021 at 10:51 AM.
    IP

on TG only mods can end a discussion... we are very democratic that way...

but more seriously - it is great that your method worked for you I am not taking issue with that

but others who come after and read this may get confused and think it necessary to mess with DLL and use third party program, when it is not
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

oh you edited your post how droll, my kids do that all the time
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

@Bob-W, I shall close this Thread as you still do not appreciate the difficulties employing a tool such as Resource Hacker might deliver.
    I do note your assertion that your were not changing the installation exe only the installed one disappeared quite quickly. The EULA is quite specific about not creating "derivative works" of "any part" of the software provided.
    Say something more convoluted than mapping in a different BMP was done and Xara has a digital signature for checking its DLLs were not hacked and the XDA then failed to work. Who becomes liable?

What you do in the privacy of your own installation is up to you.
    There is a sea of difference in hacking into an application, placing an image in a folder, changing a MS Registry setting, adding Placeholder code or exploiting Xara-published functions.

@mwenz offered an insight that is much more sensible; I tried it and it failed me but I don't care about a Splash anyhow.

I would be more engaged if I could exploit WebP, SVGs and Alpha channels, but hey, it's only a splash.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP