Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Videos in website

Hello, I have put about 20 mp4 videos on a separate web page and they work fine, needless to say this slows things down when opening a video. Can I do anything to improve the speed of opening up the video.

Thanks in advance for your support

Roly

Default Re: Videos in website

You probably need to wait for Australia and UK to wake up for an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by roly View Post
    Hello, I have put about 20 mp4 videos on a separate web page and they work fine, needless to say this slows things down when opening a video. Can I do anything to improve the speed of opening up the video.

Thanks in advance for your support

Roly

Roly,

There are a number of alternatives depending on your design approach. Two examples here use a server-side video library (which in this case is a simple directory/folder of the videos).

https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/EmbedVideo/

There is a JS Video Player (developed with Acorn a while back) and a Page Video Player, both of which do that same thing, only in a different way. In both cases, the videos sit in a folder on your hosted server and not in the design file.

With 20+ videos, I would use the JS Video Player Video-JS-Player.xar - the code is in the Page HTML code (body) - it has four simple custom-built functions: locate, display, play and pause.

In my example, the links are presented in a list format, but they could equally be thumbnail links of the videos themselves.

The value of the plugin design is you have a mobile-ready variant.

Here is the plug-in embedded into a main design document: Video Player_Holder.xar

One trick is to make the page/pasteboard background the same colour as your main site; just looks much more visually integrated; another is to make the main site video plugin placeholder a shorter height than the video plugin where you do not want a long list down the page.

Hopefully, some ideas to play around with here and come back if you want any more information.

Gary

I thank you Gary’s for your support, I will give your suggestions a shot tonight.0

Roly

Hi Gary (Initiostar) , I have been trying to follow your steps for the video player V2 and V3 for the last 2 days without any success. I am not a coder , I am a hobbyist who does basic websites for friends and start up small businesses for free ( ...giving back to the community). I have on occasion put some given code in the video plugin page HTML code (body) with success however, when it comes to ..."var source = 'https://initiostar.co.uk/assets/'; " for example, I struggle with what to do.

So, thank you very much Gary for your support, I will keep what I have until such time my friend wants to hire a professional web designer.

Roly

Hi Gary (Initiostar) , I have been trying to follow your steps for the video player V2 and V3 for the last 2 days without any success. I am not a coder , I am a hobbyist who does basic websites for friends and start up small businesses for free ( ...giving back to the community). I have on occasion put some given code in the video plugin page HTML code (body) with success however, when it comes to ..."var source = 'https://initiostar.co.uk/assets/'; " for example, I struggle with what to do.

So, thank you very much Gary for your support, I will keep what I have until such time my friend wants to hire a professional web designer.

Roly
    Hi Roly,

Hopefully, when you ran the demo XAR's you saw the video player(s) working with my demo videos.

What you would need to do is to transfer/FTP your own videos to a folder on your hosted server. You would change the code to reference your videos by changing the code to "var source = 'https://my-domain-name/my-video-folder-name/'

If you can create a folder on your server, share the link here (or PM me), provide 2-3 video filenames that are in that folder, I will create a working demo for you.

Gary

Working Example: https://initiostar.co.uk/about.htm
    Last edited by Initiostar; 01 December 2021 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Working Example

Hi Gary, thank you very much for the offer. When you say…to a folder on your hosted server, Go Daddy is the hosting site, so, I presume you mean, copy the videos to my files on Go Daddy. Is that correct?

Roly

Hi Gary, thank you very much for the offer. When you say…to a folder on your hosted server, Go Daddy is the hosting site, so, I presume you mean, copy the videos to my files on Go Daddy. Is that correct?

Roly
    Yes, that is correct. You would use an FTP app to create a folder first, then upload your videos to that folder. The folder just keeps them together for easier maintenance. You can test whether this is successful thereafter using "https://my-domain-name/my-video-folder-name/my-video-filename.mp4"

e.g. in my case I have all the videos in a folder called Assets and can access and play any videos through a link (such as) https://initiostar.co.uk/assets/ParsonageBackSoon.mp4

Gary

Thanks Gary, when you say …use an FTP app to create a folder first, does this mean that in Go Daddy I create a folder then import to that folder the video files?

Roly

Thanks Gary, when you say …use an FTP app to create a folder first, does this mean that in Go Daddy I create a folder then import to that folder the video files?

Roly
    Yes Roly, that should work though I'm not familiar with Go Daddy.

Gary