Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Kington, Herefordshire. I used to live on a boat on the English waterways

Default Password Protected areas

Good morning all. At present I am using Xara Designer Pro X 17.0.0.58732 DL x64 Mar 12 2020.

I have an embryonic project buiiding a site for which it would be really useful if I could have features which I have not tried before:

1. A password protected area for all members of the society to access.
    2. A password protected area where members can edit their own details.
    3. A passworded area where other members of the committee can enter struff.

Is this possible with the version that I have, and if not, is there a Xara upgrade that will allow me to do this?

Nick

Default Re: Password Protected areas

Hi Theo, apologies that this hasn't been answered earlier which isn't the normal case on TG where questions are fairly quickly replied too.

Short answer is no. However all of this should be doable using Xara.

1: A password protected area for all members of the society to access.
    This is down to what website hosting you have. Any decent web host should allow you to have a password protected folder. So it's not a Xara thing, you just publish the site from Xara into a folder on your hosts server that requires a username and password to gain access.

2: A password protected area where members can edit their own details.
    Doable but this will require individual usernames and passwords for each and every member, which could become very large. Probably better of here having a form for a member to amend their details and have an admin receive the form and edit the spreadsheet themselves.

3: A passworded area where other members of the committee can enter stuff.
    Xara sites are not database driven, just WYSIWYG. Best way here would be to use a Google sheet, whereby a select number of committee have access and editing rights re the spreadsheet. You can publish the google sheet as an html page to appear within a placeholder. Caution, you're not breaching the Data Protection Act here.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Password Protected areas

Theo, Xara delivers static sites. Handling passwords for a host of people requires a user management system that sits on the server.

What you would be better looking to is WordPress where all of your needed options are built-in.

Building your own in a Xara product requires a fair amount of skill.
    I always steer clear simply as the effort is high as is the risk.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat