Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Mobile Variant - pages not auto updating

Building a new site, I used one of the Xara templates for a start. With six pages, I proceeded to load some basic text and photos to play around.

What I have found is that the the content is not populating on half the mobile variant pages.

I have tested by changing a word on the Home page, and found that it did cross update to the variant home page.
    But on other pages, the text does not update, or did not carry over to start with.
    Finding either the first paragraph or text box, maybe on the variant, or finding nothing at all past the banner photo and title.

One page that did not carry over has a large drawing, in JPG format, about 1250x800 resolution.
    Another page, I put in some initial sample text, which populated to the variant, but not the new text nor icons I loaded.

I have searched for "variants not updating" and other variations, in the forum and the help pages, with no results.

So another newbie failure and question...
    Why do variants not cross update at times ?

Default Re: Mobile Variant - pages not auto updating

This is a useful article that explains sharing across variants: https://help.xara.com/article/154-li...cross-variants. Google "Xara Variants" and you will find some older videos that might be worth a look too.

Some important aspects to make managing variants must easer: use of text styles for each variant; you might have a Normal Text font size 18 (desktop), but 22 on a mobile; I always test on physical mobile devices Android and iOS as well as a 4K desktop. In all cases I use Scale-to-Fit-Width. I would keep in mind too that not all widgets respond well to variant sharing, particularly those that require different IDs for each variant - the WOW slider being an example.

Gary

Hi, I had the same issue. I have both a PC and mobile variant and the PC one would update almost instantaneously, but the mobile one was hit and miss - sometimes it would show with no problems, sometimes it would show with half text or objects missing, sometimes I needed to wait over night to see the results. I put this down to the hosting service who seem to want to comb through the uploaded files and then releases them partially or fully once done. But after a short wait, it always appeared as designed...

Quote Originally Posted by wwdileie View Post
    Hi, I had the same issue. I have both a PC and mobile variant and the PC one would update almost instantaneously, but the mobile one was hit and miss - sometimes it would show with no problems, sometimes it would show with half text or objects missing, sometimes I needed to wait over night to see the results. I put this down to the hosting service who seem to want to comb through the uploaded files and then releases them partially or fully once done. But after a short wait, it always appeared as designed...
    This is not the issue that the OP raised.
    @frolin was talking about at the design stage.

Your issue is mor likely to be server caching.
    If you use any edge servers, through Cloudflare, for example, you need to purge the cache during updates.
    If you don't the edge servers will be updated when they get round to it.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Guys,

Actually, I am talking about in the Xara application itself, not cloud delays, but the app.
    ...nothing to do with the web updating or delays, I am talking about in the app on the Windows PC I am working on.

When I update text on the 'Home' page on the desktop variant, I thought the mobile variant page would auto update.
    Thus, changing wording on home page, on one variant would automatically cross update to all variants.
    I am not seeing any updates on the variants.

Figured I would have to set the font size per variant, but the text would cross update. It is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolin View Post
    Hi Guys,

Actually, I am talking about in the Xara application itself, not cloud delays, but the app.
    ...nothing to do with the web updating or delays, I am talking about in the app on the Windows PC I am working on.

When I update text on the 'Home' page on the desktop variant, I thought the mobile variant page would auto update.
    Thus, changing wording on home page, on one variant would automatically cross update to all variants.
    I am not seeing any updates on the variants.

Figured I would have to set the font size per variant, but the text would cross update. It is not.
    By default new objects, text, photos, graphics are not auto-shared with variants. Where you want to share an object with a variant, select it, right click, scroll to Web Variants and select the share with all option.

You will then see the object appear in the variant(s) and can resize it to match the design. For text, you can modify the text style for each variant. Thereafter, as and when you make any changes to the text, they will be reflected in each variant.

Where an object is shared you will see // at the top right-hand corner of the object.

If and when you first create a variant from the main/desktop, it does automatically share objects where possible with that variant. Historically, that is how many of the Xara templates were created.

Call me old-fashioned but the first thing I hit is the Help button and read the manual.
    Is it a generational thing?

https://helpandsupport.xara.com/xara..._variants.html
    It even covers exceptions:
    https://helpandsupport.xara.com/xara...g_objects.html

Acorn

UPDATE
    Just worked it out.
    I have written or been responsible for a number of Help Manuals, I get annoyed when no one cares to read them.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Frolin View Post
    Building a new site, I used one of the Xara templates for a start. With six pages, I proceeded to load some basic text and photos to play around.

What I have found is that the the content is not populating on half the mobile variant pages.

I have tested by changing a word on the Home page, and found that it did cross update to the variant home page.
    But on other pages, the text does not update, or did not carry over to start with.
    Finding either the first paragraph or text box, maybe on the variant, or finding nothing at all past the banner photo and title.

One page that did not carry over has a large drawing, in JPG format, about 1250x800 resolution.
    Another page, I put in some initial sample text, which populated to the variant, but not the new text nor icons I loaded.

I have searched for "variants not updating" and other variations, in the forum and the help pages, with no results.

So another newbie failure and question...
    Why do variants not cross update at times ?
    Hey @Frolin. I’ve always found it tremendously useful to use the “getting started” template in your folder in the program. This is an elementary site with all of the features mentioned above. You’ll find all the basics that you need to understand.
    Depending upon the template that you’ve chosen you may be confused with some of the more complex features that Xara offers.
    Check out the “welcome” template, or whatever it’s called. There’s lots of sharing, and repeating of many of the elements without being overly complex. Have some patience and have fun. Rome was built in a day.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.