Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 11

Default Windows 11

My wife's HP Elite laptop says its ready to update to Windows 11. She held off installing.

Good or bad?

I have not really heard anything about 11.

Default Re: Windows 11

Gary. I was told NOT to update to Windows 11 for at least 6 months. Just because you can doesn’t mean it’s right. MS will push Windows 11 in its marketing. I’m at the moment upgrading my system and was told to stay away. In fact Win 11 doesn’t have to be installed till the end of 2022.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

no reason to upgrade for the sake of it...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

My system isn't ready for windows 11 thank goodness!!
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

I thought I had a fairly decent Laptop?
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.59 GHz
    RAM 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home

But, I'm being told 'This PC doesn't currently meet the minimum system requirements to run Windows 11'

So, what specification are needed, then?

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Basically if your computer is not new or almost new, you probably need a new computer to get all the benefits.

I found an option to tell Windows we do not want to update right now.

My 8 year old HP desktop died last week and I bought a new HP desktop to replace it. It came with Windows 11 Home and so far everything works (including Xara). I went with all SSD drives (3) and what a difference in speed compared to hard drives.
    Glenn

I've been running Windows 11 for months through the Insider program. I've also loaded the retail version on 3 new builds so far with no problems. It's as stable as Win 10 and hasn't thrown any issues with 3rd party software. Yes, Xara loaded perfectly well and runs properly. To be fair, it's not my main computer, so Xara isn't fired up very often.

Win11 requires UEFI and not BIOS, which has been out for 10 years. Most computers will be UEFI. It also requires TPM2 (Trusted Platform Module) which has been around since 2014/2015. TPM can be switched off and on in the UEFI and is usually buried in the Security section. I haven't done enough to say whether it's typically off or on by default. The last requirement, which is where Rik falls over, is the need for a Gen7 or Ryzen CPU. Rik's 6500U is Gen 6.

MS have been rolling out their PC Health Check app with the latest Win10 updates, or you can download directly from MS and various other places like Major Geeks. Among other things, the app will test your computer for Win11 compatibility.
    Last edited by Chris M; 11 November 2021 at 08:35 PM. Reason: spelling

fwiw - my desktop had TPM2 switched off by default in UEFI; as soon as that was activated it became win 11 compatible much to my relief as I though I would need new hardware
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

My old Dell laptop took a dump on me so had to buy a new one. The new Lenovo came with Windows 11 Home installed and although I've only had it a short time, seems to work fine for me and once I got used to some of the new differences from 10 I kind of like it.