Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pop Up Layer on Mobile varaiant not working at all - help :)!

Hi Everyone

Recently got a new site working with a variant for PC and mobile phones. I'm using a menu link at the top that links to a pop up layer as the drop down menu when clicked or touched (on a touch screen). It works perfectly on my PC, but when I see the mobile variant on my phone, it does nothing. So as a test, I tried just creating the menu itself (from the pop up layer) as a separate page so that on the mobile version, the menu link links to the menu page and not a popup layer, and it works. So it seems to me that somehow there is an issue with a pop up layer on a phone that isn't working. Has anyone come across this before and offer any ideas as to how to solve it?

Thank you so much in advance for any help

D

Default Re: Pop Up Layer on Mobile varaiant not working at all - help :)!

Would you copy/paste the original menu into a new project and upload it here?

If I'm interpreting your description correctly, then I see no reason why it isn't working.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Would you copy/paste the original menu into a new project and upload it here?

If I'm interpreting your description correctly, then I see no reason why it isn't working.
    Thanks so much, please find that attached. Like I said, it works on PC but not on mobile? For some strange reason, if I change the link type (on the menu button - I use a transparent rectangle as the linking layer, placed over the menu text panel) from pop up to web page, then it works, but just can't get the pop up to work!
    Attached Files Attached Files

I fared worse than you, I couldn't get it to work no matter what screen res I used.

I'm not sure why you have the menu button on a separate layer, it should be on the MouseOff layer, so I moved it. Still nothing.
    I messed around with all sorts of weird things before deciding to start from scratch.

Create layer named menu and create your content (I simply copy/pasted the content from your Pop Up Menu layer)
    Select MouseOff and create a button
    Link the button to menu Utilities > Web Properties > Link (tab) > Pop-Up Layer (drop down menu)

Everything works as intended. Why your original didn't play ball, I can't answer, but I'd take a stab in the dark and guess it's a page attribute/setting rather than object/link thing.

>>> Menu Project Edit.web.xar <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    I fared worse than you, I couldn't get it to work no matter what screen res I used.

I'm not sure why you have the menu button on a separate layer, it should be on the MouseOff layer, so I moved it. Still nothing.
    I messed around with all sorts of weird things before deciding to start from scratch.

Create layer named menu and create your content (I simply copy/pasted the content from your Pop Up Menu layer)
    Select MouseOff and create a button
    Link the button to menu Utilities > Web Properties > Link (tab) > Pop-Up Layer (drop down menu)

Everything works as intended. Why your original didn't play ball, I can't answer, but I'd take a stab in the dark and guess it's a page attribute/setting rather than object/link thing.

>>> Menu Project Edit.web.xar <<<
    Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to work this bug out!!!! Very much appreciated. Is late here so will open your file and try in the morning, but I'm sure it'll work perfectly in my site. Again, thank you so much as this was really bugging me something crazy (pun intended)

Yes, I too had a go last night and could not make heads nor tails of what was going on. As Chris mentioned, there was no reason why it should not work. It just didn't. I threw up my hands, admitted defeat, and went to bed.

Glad Chris got it sorted.

Info Re: Pop Up Layer on Mobile varaiant not working at all - help :)!

wwdileie, your original file is corrupt just with the Pop Up Menu layer as when I created another layer and move the items to that and linked, it all worked.

That said, your design should never really be flying.

Here are the steps to implement a cleaner pop-up menu in your XDA:
    • Avoid creating any layers under MouseOff; there is no need.
    • If using a Transparent shim with a link to the pop-up, do not use 100% Transparency; use 99% - it is safer as you can then select it. There is nothing worse than an invisible, untouchable shape.
    • Create the menu items on the MouseOff layer; Soft-group them.
    • Add the Link to the entire soft-group.
    • Add some changed aspect of the menu button in the MouseOver layer; the shim will automatically open this, giving you a proper button effect. Add a splash of colour.
    • Your design has shapes outside the page size; these will never render.
    • Your pop-up menu items are static. Create a new layer above 'Pop Up Menu' and call it 'MouseOver Pop Up Menu'; personally, I would use just 'Menu' & 'MouseOver Menu'. Add a splash of colour here as well.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    wwdileie, your original file is corrupt just with the Pop Up Menu layer as when I created another layer and move the items to that and linked, it all worked.

That said, your design should never really be flying.

Here are the steps to implement a cleaner pop-up menu in your XDA:
    • Avoid creating any layers under MouseOff; there is no need.
    • If using a Transparent shim with a link to the pop-up, do not use 100% Transparency; use 99% - it is safer as you can then select it. There is nothing worse than an invisible, untouchable shape.
    • Create the menu items on the MouseOff layer; Soft-group them.
    • Add the Link to the entire soft-group.
    • Add some changed aspect of the menu button in the MouseOver layer; the shim will automatically open this, giving you a proper button effect. Add a splash of colour.
    • Your design has shapes outside the page size; these will never render.
    • Your pop-up menu items are static. Create a new layer above 'Pop Up Menu' and call it 'MouseOver Pop Up Menu'; personally, I would use just 'Menu' & 'MouseOver Menu'. Add a splash of colour here as well.

Acorn
    Hi Acorn, Chris & gwpriester

BTW, thanks Chris for your post, but unfortunately it didn't work either. When I looked closer in your project file you sent, you have linked to a bitmap image, not a layer with items... But I tried what you suggested and it still didn't link properly . However, for some strange reason, without having changed anything I can put my finger on, it's showing now. But also, other weird things are happening. So, I created two sub menu pop ups, a main menu and a products menu (which is supposed to pop up on clicking on 'products' in the main menu pop up). However, none of the links in either menu works and the actual pop up for the products menu shows up on my mobile screen without clicking anything (it has been has been visually disabled in xara so I have no idea why it's showing by default). So it seems to me xara is doing all sorts of strange things that doesn't make any logical sense to me. If anyone can help shed any light on this, I would be very grateful

Here is a mobile menu format that I have used on many occasions: Menu Project_Reworked.xar. It has a single link from the MouseOff layer to a Menu layer, which in this case has a corresponding MouseOff layer, much the same as would be the case for a desktop menu. The only value a MouseOver layer has on a touch device is that it shows the page you are on; otherwise you can simply use a single layer menu.

The Links on the Menu can point to anything, but you need to repeat this menu on all your pages. It would help I think if you explained what you want to achieve in terms of site structure; particularly in terms of submenus.

I'm sure members here will be able to offer you some ideas.

Gary

I don't understand why it didn't work as it works well on my machine.
    If you look at the step-by-step I posted, you will see that the button is linked to the layer, not a bitmap. The content can be anything, I simply copy/pasted what you had.

Here's the same thing, but with an added layer. Main page - layer1 - layer2. The 'Close' button serves no real purpose as the layers are set to close automatically, which is something I hardly ever use, especially on a menu.

>>> Menu Project Edit2.web <<<