Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Buttons and Page-Links (I don't know where I've blown it)

Chris,

"Hide the MouseOVER layer" just means collapse that stack, right?

Thx,
    Paul

There's something strange going on there as in both web files on preview on mouse over text is visible very breifly in Firefox. There's ? @ ... & i but i can't find the reason why.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

OIE!!!

I don't know how I got the idea that the links belonged on the MouseOVER layer and NEVER on the MouseOFF layer??

Talk about a brain fart.

Thank you, Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bruneau View Post
    Chris,

"Hide the MouseOVER layer" just means collapse that stack, right?

Thx,
    Paul
    No need to collapse, but you can to keep it neat. Hide it by clicking the eye icon.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hide Layer.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	130968

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    There's something strange going on there as in both web files on preview on mouse over text is visible very breifly in Firefox. There's ? @ ... & i but i can't find the reason why.
    Both Pauls and my .webs display fine for me in FF.

From the Help Manual:
    Creating Your Own Mouseover Buttons

You can create your own mouseover buttons from scratch by drawing the necessary elements from rectangles, text, etc. Just draw the main parts of the button on the MouseOff layer (remember to group it) and place the corresponding 'highlight' version on the MouseOver layer. As long as the MouseOff version has a web address link, then the MouseOver version will automatically be displayed as you move the mouse over it on the web page. (The MouseOver layer must be on top of the MouseOff layer).

In other words, you give the main object a web address using the link option, and then select the MouseOver Layer in the Page & Layer Gallery, and place the required mouseover versions of your button on this layer so it overlaps the linked object.

Technical note: Any graphic object on the MouseOver layer will be displayed as long as at least 50% overlaps with the object on the MouseOff layer. The two versions of mouseover buttons are kept in sync by using the Soft Groups feature. When you select the button on one layer, it automatically selects the Soft Grouped version on the other layer, even if the layer is switched off. When you edit the text of the button on one layer, it's automatically synced with the other version of the button.

To ensure the text on both the Off and Over states changes when you edit either, Soft Group the buttons on both layers. To do this you will need to enable both layers in the Page & Layer Gallery, and lasso select around both buttons. The status line should tell you if you have everything selected. Select "Arrange" > "Apply Soft Group". Now when you edit the text on the Off layer it will also change on the over layer, even if it's hidden. (Note this only works if the Off and Over text are the same to start with, and relies on the objects being Soft Grouped).
    The other approach is to deconstruct a Xara-built button until it breaks.
    I call this the Alarm Clock Disassembly Conundrum (ACDC) as I always end up with a spare part afterwards, yet it still seems to work.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    From the Help Manual:
    The other approach is to deconstruct a Xara-built button until it breaks.
    I call this the Alarm Clock Disassembly Conundrum (ACDC) as I always end up with a spare part afterwards, yet it still seems to work.

Acorn
    ACDC all the time with me for Xara buttons, especially with colors and such. great anachronism.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Paul,

When I looked at your MouseOver and MouseOff layers separately (in SOLO mode), some buttons had different links for the SAME button. Personally, I would group (in SOLO mode) each set of objects on their respective MouseOver and MouseOff layers, then with both layers visible, soft-group each button.

Thereafter, add your links to the completed set of buttons | Buttons_Working.xar |. Soft-grouping is not necessary, but it does keep everything together.

Gary

It shows the text on each button very briefly. See here, no audio:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QG-XbujX9o
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    It shows the text on each button very briefly. See here, no audio:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QG-XbujX9o
    Egg, I suggest the it is down to the separation of shape and object on each layer triggering separate parts of the button.
    In Paul's case, there are up to six shapes altogether and possibly different links on each to muddy the water.

CSS or SVG buttons are cleaner all round.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat