Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Buttons and Page-Links (I don't know where I've blown it)

Hi Everybody.

I have an array of MouseOVER and MouseOFF buttons on my pages but I have messed-up something, somewhere. I can not figure out what I've done.

Name:  MouseOVER.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  2.3 KB MouseOVER

Name:  MouseOFF.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  2.1 KB MouseOFF

Links are set ONLY on the MouseOVER layers through the "link to:" drop-down list section of the Web Properties Link tab.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WebProperties.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	130963

So what's making me nuts?
    • All of the buttons visually behave almost like they are supposed to. Each of the buttons presented is the MouseOFF version. On the index page for example, the display is the MouseOFF-image. (Generally, the MouseOVER-image displays, like an indicator of what page this is)

• Other than that, each page displays the MouseOFF-images and will toggle between the MouseOVER-image and MouseOFF-image if the cursor hovers any one of them.

• Finally, when I select any one of the other buttons, the browser flashes but loads the index.htm page again, regardless of what is indicated in the "link to:" section of the Web Properties Link tab.

If someone can tell me what I am doing wrong, I can find something else to fret about.

Many Thanks,
    Paul

Default Re: Buttons and Page-Links (I don't know where I've blown it)

Link the mouse off button. The mouse over state will show.

Or you can soft group the two buttons.

I did not soft group my example because the text is different on each button state.
    Attached Files Attached Files

@paul Bruneau.. Paul you mention you have a number of buttons. Sometimes if you copy one button after providing the index link, the copied button will hold the characteristics (linkage) of the button copied.
    Make sure that every button has separate linkage to the page you want. For each button you’ll have to change the linkage.
    Even though you’ve done this step, check them all. Hope that helps.

If not, try to include the Xara page in another email so all can have a look.

-W
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Paul, in Preview, hover over each button and check what address shows in the browser status bar.

Also a Home link on the Home page does not do anything as you are already there.

You may have a different Link on each button state.

The simplest is to Soft-group then apply a link.
    Alternatively, just add the link to MouseOff - anything with more than a half overlap with the MOff button will appear on hover.
    You can Soft-group or not; it does not matter.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you Gary, Bill, Acorn

I've double-checked, and triple-checked each of the "Link To:" drop-down list section of the Web Properties Link tab and each button is linked to the proper htm page.

I also followed Acorns' suggestion. (I didn't know that the link address would show in the browser status bar. Nice to know that!) and Lo & behold, the status bar presents just "http://localhost:8000/virt2f5d6c96/index.htm", regardless of which button I select. It does not change to follow the linked address which would probably be something like "http://localhost:8000/virt2f5d6c96/about.htm"

So I still don't know what I've ***** up.

Any notions????
    Paul

Paul, you therefore have to create a dummy design with just the buttons on each page and upload to us in TG.

Your buttons could be built from a white circle with black ender, centred with a blue circle and then a symbol or font glyph of a house.
    Each could have their own link or you could even have a transparent shim on top.
    Without knowing your construction, it is difficult to second guess the issue.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Guys,

I'm lost.

I did attach an example of what's going on.

Thank you all for the time you've given to me on this.

Many Thanks,
    Paul

>>>Buttons.web<<<

You have your links in the wrong place. You have them in Link To Web Or Email Address and you should be one box down in Link To.

I stopped the buttons from repeating and deleted them all except the home page ones.
    Soft grouped each pair (optional, but makes life easier) Arrange > Apply Soft Group
    Added the the kinks via the drop-down box under Utilities > Web Properties > Link (tab) > Link To
    Selected all the buttons and Arrange > Repeating Object > Repeat On All Pages

>>> Buttons.web <<<

Hi Chris,

I did that button thing over again. Copied only the graphic figures of the buttons. Created and named new pages carefully. Linked the MouseOVER even more carefully. I did all of this with one finger just to be sure!
    And the buttons all work just fine.
    There must be a "naming" issue of some kind in the subsidiary pages on my working-title site.
    Thanks for the tips, guys! This is all pretty brainy stuff Gary, Alcorn, and Gary. I gotta wonder how you all stayed in it for so many years!

Thanks again,
    Paul

You're linking the wrong layer.

Delete (remove) all the links on your MouseOver layer.
    Hide the MouseOver layer and click (select) the MouseOff layer.
    Add your links to the buttons on the MouseOff layer.