Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Repelling and anchoring

I had a question regarding repelling and anchoring. I run across this quite often with newsletters. In the pic provided you can see the standard repel dialogue box, and the test curled around it.
    I can't seem to make the margin of the text below the picture to match the margin of the vertical margin. I hope the pic describes the problem. It's not a huge problem, and might be related to the spacing of the lines in the text, but I'm not sure.
    I know there's an answer but not quite sure. Many Thanks
    ~Bill

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	repelling.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	130958
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Default Re: Repelling and anchoring

Bill, I would just scale the image.
    In this case, a vertical stretch down would not distort too much.
    Another approach would be to scale up and crop the sides.
    Even a nudge down to balance top and bottom margins would work.

It is an aesthetic you are striving for and the XDA will not have such a button.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

If you click the lock icon then you can adjust the height and width independently. By default this setting is locked and text is offset the same distance vertically as it is horizontally.

I generally set the height to 0px.

Thanks Gary and Acorn. You notice as well in the drop down there are two functions. “Text Under” and “repel and anchoring”. I wonder why Xara didn’t combine the two functions.
    For new users it’s a bit hard to explain even with the manual. One seems to be a fast set, and the other is more refined.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    Thanks Gary and Acorn. You notice as well in the drop down there are two functions. “Text Under” and “repel and anchoring”. I wonder why Xara didn’t combine the two functions.
    For new users it’s a bit hard to explain even with the manual. One seems to be a fast set, and the other is more refined.
    Bill, anchoring makes the graphic part of the text block and as you add or remove text around it, it moves. Repel text under is just that.
    You can combine the two.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

One of the problems you also have is, that there is a line in the vertical column of text next to the picture that extends down about a half a line below the bottom of the picture. This makes you have a larger space on the bottom of the picture. You have to do as Acorn suggested and drag the picture down a little.

Ray

My solution is inelegant but it works perfectly. Don't repel the text under the image. Instead, use a shape to repel the type and put the image over that. That way you can easily stretch the shape to adjust the margins. The only issue is the shape either needs to be the same color as the background (white when printing on white paper for example) or it needs to be invisible. 100% invisible won't work, but 99% will, go figure.

My solution is inelegant but it works perfectly
    Not inelegant at all. I use this method a lot. In the attached I used very elaborate swash caps for drop caps at the start of every chapter and using a shape let me tailor the offset.

The grey outline is my repellent shape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	repellant.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	130965  

@fin and @gwpriester very excellent ideas. Thank You.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design