Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Xara save files confusion

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    There's no reason not to save things to the Desktop. There's nothing special or more vulnerable about files on the Desktop than there is about files saved in any other folder.
    @daniel. I’d say I’m an advanced novice in Xara, but I’m terribly bad at understanding computer drives and code. The basic thing is I’ve learned that the Xara back up is not something I want to save.
    Now in all my work I do a “save as” for my projects, adding the date to the file. It’s a pain for 4 websites, and 4 newsletters but I also have those files on a slim movable drive. I also save to a large thumb drive monthly.
    Everybody has their own way. But I was totally confused what the Xara backup listed in the manual really was.
    @acorn has a more dynamic arrangement, a very good one.
    One may also save their files to various clouds, but I sit on a number of local committees and most of their files are cloud based.

I wouldn’t mind finding a cloud system that my local groups are NOT on, but that’s another project.

As long as one backs up files, and knows the files to back up.
    So many users do not, but that’s another coffee discussion.
    Thanks for your comments.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

they say data that is not backed up is data you don't care about

provided they know there is one, everyone decides for themselves their own risk management trade off
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    There's no reason not to save things to the Desktop. There's nothing special or more vulnerable about files on the Desktop than there is about files saved in any other folder.
    Sorry Daniel, there are very good reasons.

You desktop is a configuration under your MS login so if you place 1GB of data (seen that) on your desktop, MS takes some time to organise itself on start-up and all the underlying hidden databases as well.
    As @handrawn says, it is then added to your C:\ drive so system, program and data are all fighting for read-write time, causing a bottleneck.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat