Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Backup location fail

Tried to replicate the behaviour. Made a new folder called DP+ in my c:\user\<loginname> directory. Changed Xara Designer Pro + settings (Options/Backups/ etc...)

No problems for me. Xara did what it was told to do and made the required backups in the intended folder.

So: there is something else going on there in Albury, NSW.

I hardly dare to ask for I know delving in he Registry is frowned upon in this forum, but would Peter be so kind to inform us what the entry is of the key "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Xara\XtremePr oSub x64\18\Options\Backups" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I hardly dare to ask for I know delving in he Registry is frowned upon in this forum, but would Peter be so kind to inform us what the entry is of the key "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Xara\XtremePr oSub x64\18\Options\Backups" ?
    Michael, it is not frowned upon. Rather, it is an indication of Danger ahead! Changing or deleting the wrong entry can take a lot of undoing. We don't really care as it is your machine and we don't want any blame. It is akin to what you might say to a young child with a lit candle.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I hardly dare to ask for I know delving in he Registry is frowned upon in this forum
    TG is full of registry tweaks, from restoring the legacy transparencies to suppressing selection of drawn lines when freehand sketching - even the company has suggested a registry tweak every now and then... like acorn said you just need to be aware of what you are doing

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Prewett
    When installing DP+ it defaulted to C:\Users\pprew\.Xara Designer Pro+ so used that.
    Personally I think this is so unlikely that perhaps Peter has made a mistake here

It is just possible there is a system issue - right click and run as administrator should sort that out if it is UAC/security software based, but no guarantee - worth a try... as Chris suggested earlier
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I have tried every option I could think of changing location of backup folder it still does not do backups including run as administrator as that was my first thought.

Even stranger “to me’ is that it is not doing backups at all until I save, ignores the time setting, then creates a backup in the same folder as the file.

If I open up File>Open Recent>Backups it shows the folder location as set up, the folder is empty.

I have had no problem in a previous editions in setting up, as done many times before.

I have DP as well as DP+ the former saves as expected, as does the DP+ second copy in our office.

It has to be something with my home computer.

I would say then your installation of DP+ may be corrupted - the period mentioned previously should not be in the default path where it is; if it was something has gone wrong - as chris indicated, this does not prevent access, but it being there is a worry

a corrupt installation can arise simply from a minor power supply blip at a critical point that would otherwise go un-noticed causing a routine to be incorrectly written, or it could be a hardware issue [disks and memory can be checked with windows routines]

if the backup location in utilities menu > options > backups tab is set up correctly and applied it should work - unless you have accidently set keep revisions of each document to 0 and even then I think it shoild keep one file, but i am not 100% certain that

or, as michael touched on, your home computer security settings are interferring although if so I would have expected that to affect all versions of DP, but you never know...
    Nothing lasts forever...

OK will try reinstalling, have downloaded, do I need to save any files then delete or just reinstall over the top?

if it were me I would save out all user data such as back up files and downloaded content, just in case

uninstall via the control panel

reboot windows and reinstall

you migh want to make a note of any customisations you have made so you can reinstate them
    Nothing lasts forever...

I deleted DP+ rebooted did it again with power down, in both cases on reinstalling, all my settings were still set up.

I set up a test folder and document, every time I save it creates a another file in the same folder, now over 20.

Set up a backup folder and path on another HD, DP+ saves to that location at the time set, so that at least is working.

sorry seems I missed your reply - good that it is working, thanks for letting us know
    Nothing lasts forever...