Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Backup location fail

I have DP+ on W10 computer.
    I have tried numerous times to set Backup to a folder DP+ in Users etc. it shows up in DP+ Options Backup, it just ignores and puts it into the folder where the working file is located.
    Peter

Default Re: Backup location fail

You're hitting 'Apply' after you've set the path?

Utilities > Backups (tab) > Browse (choose folder) > Apply

I can't get it to fail. Are you trying to save in an unusual (restricted) folder?

Have set it up before on other versions with out problems.

When installing DP+ it defaulted to C:\Users\pprew\.Xara Designer Pro+ so used that.

Reply prompted to look at DP 18 it shows Users\pprew\AppData\Local\Xara\XtremePro\18\Backup s

is that period in the path actually there in front of Xara Designer Pro + :

When installing DP+ it defaulted to C:\Users\pprew\.Xara Designer Pro+ so used that
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes a period, I accepted the default location setting when opened up DP+ Options>backup tab.

Peter, provided you use the Browse button, you will pick only valid local storage locations.
    I cannot explain the period though.

My backup locations are I:\Xara Backups\<Product & Version> so i keep work with different XDAs separate, e.g., I:\Xara Backups\Xara Pro+ & I:\Xara Backups\XDPXv17.0.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

as acorn said use browse button to select the folder you want to use, which you will need to create first

the path you have shown is invalid with the period positioned where it is - xara would not accept it any more than windows file explorer would.... it would not have been in the default path when the program installed, assuming the program installed correctly
    Nothing lasts forever...

And be aware that Windows Security setting may prevent programs from accessing certain areas on your computer. Hence that program will revert to the default settings.

You can check if this applies to you by typing "protected folders" in Windows Settings or after clicking the Windows icon on your taskbar. One can see whether or not a program has been blocked while delving into the protection history in the Virus and threats section of the Settings app.

@handrawn - Both Windows File Explorer and Xara would have no trouble using a folder that starts with a period. Why Xara would create one is a different matter.
    @Michael - Peter shows the folder as being in Users folder, which allows full read/write permission to the logged-in user.

The big question is, why can't Peter change the saved path? The classic 'Run As Administrator'?
    Last edited by Chris M; 29 October 2021 at 02:10 PM. Reason: added a bit

ok chris I sit corrected

the folder would have to be there though, and by default it would not be, would it ?
    Nothing lasts forever...