Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Subfolders Through Other Web Host Publishing

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Close but no coconut.

You seem to be getting confused by having an 'articles' subfolder as well as an 'articles.htm' on the root directory.

Here's how I see your site as you are having many sub-folders below your 'articles' sub-folder. I've altered the name of the sub-folder to 'sub-folder' (cunning) instead of 'articles'.

By the way when developing the site ignore the Website URL inclusion.
    No Egg, I am not confused about the Articles folder and the Articles.htm on the root set of pages on the index (Home, About Us, Staff, Articles, Issue, Contact). I know they are separate and not linked together.

I liked the gaff about the subfolder to Article subfolder. Thank you very much.

The Articles subfolder (bournejournal.org/Articles) is where all 40 articles will going into each with it's own folder inside the Articles subfolder.

example-

bournejournal.org/Articles/president-is-a-duplicate/
    bournejournal.org/Articles/mars-is-nice/
    bournejournal.org/Articles/pyramid-is-glass/

I believe when I first download the root forward set of pages the subfolder field will be - public_html/bournejour/ (I will not need a sitemap, so no website url needed).

Next, I have to place the Articles subfolder in, so the subfolder field will be - public_html/Articles/ (This will create the Articles folder in the Bournejour folder).

Then, to add the 40 articles INTO the Articles subfolder, for the 1st article the subfolder field will be - public_html/Articles/president-is-a-duplicate/

The 2nd will be in the subfolder field will be - public_html/Articles/mars-is-nice/

The 3rd will be in the subfolder field will be - public_html/Articles/pyramid-is-glass/

Each time the folder is not found on the server, Xara will ask if I want to create it and I say yes, and checking the "Explore Web Space Tab" I should see it in place.

Is this right? If it is not done this way would not the articles go into the root folder and not in the Articles subfolder?

What does not make sense to me is if I was entering all the articles in the Articles subfolder why would the subfolder field not be - bournejour/Articles/president-is-a-duplicate/

Sorry to be a stickler, but I want it done right the first time as only the experienced on the forum can muster.
    Last edited by ArchMed1; 24 October 2021 at 02:13 AM. Reason: details

I find your way of explaining things very hard to follow, I apologise if I've grasped the wrong end of the stick.

First I would like you to stop using the term 'root' as that refers to an area that the visitors to your site should not have access to. Your website should be uploaded to the public_html folder. Any sub sites (folders) will be within the public_html folder.

I am not sure if you have a site in the Articles folder, or just the 40+ sub sites. However, all additional sub sites should be published to public_html/Articles/name-of-actual-articleIn short: The sub folder (optional) box should have public_html in it for your website and public_html/Articles/name-of-actual-article

Everything you publish from Xara will go into the public_html folder. And yes, Xara will create the folder if it doesn't exist.

public_html/bournejour/
    Why the need for a folder bournejour? The path to the articles sub-folder would then need to be public_html/bournejour/articles/ not public_html/articles/
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks all for this information and help. So close here but still learning. As I mentioned, I am more used to just publishing a single website project down rather than having to create subfolders for portions of a complex, multi-part site.

@ChrisM, sorry I got the terminology wrong here. I should have said 'First Level" and not 'root'.

I'm looking at this, thanks for your patience! Certainly another Xara freshman will benefit from the subject of this post.

The structure looks like this. All 40 articles go into the Articles subfolder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	folder X.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	130906

Why the need for a folder bournejour? The path to the articles sub-folder would then need to be public_html/bournejour/articles/ not public_html/articles/
    The reason why I thought this is because I was looking at your Davora/Properties Optional Subfolder field in your examples.

If my main site is bournejournal (I assume a folder will be made with this name when I upload the Main site), and the Articles subfolder goes inside it (like the Properties subfolder inside the Davora main folder), then if the Properties subfolder needed a folder INSIDE IT (a subfolder named Section 8 Properties)...

...if I were to put public_html/Properties/Section-8-Properties/ in the Optional Subfolder field, then the .xar file I was publishing into the Section 8 Properties subfolder would go to that folder?

That was the part I could not grasp.

I thought I had to use public_html/bournejournal/Articles/man-pets-dog/ in the Optional Subfolder field to get that man pets dog.xar to the right location, which is inside the Articles subfolder.

This was per your example and my thinking.

But per ChrisM I believe public_html/Articles/man-pets-dog/ will get the xar to be published in that correct folder after Xara creates the /man-pets-dog/ folder in the Articles subfolder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	130907Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	130908
    Last edited by ArchMed1; 24 October 2021 at 07:44 PM. Reason: details

Arch, I have numerous sub-folders within my server (well over 100) to hopefully assist members of TG. Therefore I can't place them at the top of my public_html folder! So I place them in sub-folders named davora (who I was assisting at that time). Same I've placed your example site under public_html/bourne.

Of course you don't need to do this, just publish to public_html/ for your main site.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EXPORT.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	130909  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Arch, I have numerous sub-folders within my server (well over 100) to hopefully assist members of TG. Therefore I can't place them at the top of my public_html folder! So I place them in sub-folders named davora (who I was assisting at that time). Same I've placed your example site under public_html/bourne.

Of course you don't need to do this, just publish to public_html/ for your main site.
    I see now, Egg. Now I see why you did this and I see the nature of your example post. Thanks for letting me know. That was what was throwing me off.

I was not aware (in my experience) that Davora was an actual subfolder. I thought it was the main site. My eyes are OPEN. (I think!)
    Last edited by ArchMed1; 24 October 2021 at 08:21 PM. Reason: details