Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Mobile Home Page not displaying in Opera, but Chrome and Firefox Yes?

Hi Arch,

Looking good. Just some observations re the Desktop site:

I'd suggest your home page needs to load fast. At present it's full of image links to Articles. This should be the focus of the Articles page, not the Home page IMHO. There are 187 html requests to your server.

Your About page text has been converted to an image, so not available to SEO. Probably accidentally grouped.

Just commentating on the Articles page:

Your images are of a poor quality especially when resized via scale to Fit to Width publish option.

There are a great number of images to load, nearly 100. Try creating one image from numerous images thus reducing the html requests to your server.

Use image names! Combining images makes this less of a task and easier to search for within a browser as well as avoiding Xara creating new image names on each publish update.

Create rectangles with 99% transparency above parts of the image to act as links. Better still if you make these links a named colour 'link' , then you can select them all within the Name gallery.

The long page titles are fairly useless as with several tabs open I only see 'What can you' on the Articles page title tab.

Don't use lines, use rectangles instead. Xara's lines are exported as images.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 22 October 2021 at 12:37 AM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Mobile Home Page not displaying in Opera, but Chrome and Firefox Yes?

Here's a .xar of my combined image site:

EDIT: Can't attach xar file as it keeps retaining the publish settings
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 22 October 2021 at 02:15 AM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hi Arch,

Looking good. Just some observations re the Desktop site:

I'd suggest your home page needs to load fast. At present it's full of image links to Articles. This should be the focus of the Articles page, not the Home page IMHO. There are 187 html requests to your server.

Your About page text has been converted to an image, so not available to SEO. Probably accidentally grouped.

Just commentating on the Articles page:

Your images are of a poor quality especially when resized via scale to Fit to Width publish option.

There are a great number of images to load, nearly 100. Try creating one image from numerous images thus reducing the html requests to your server.

Use image names! Combining images makes this less of a task and easier to search for within a browser as well as avoiding Xara creating new image names on each publish update.

Create rectangles with 99% transparency above parts of the image to act as links. Better still if you make these links a named colour 'link' , then you can select them all within the Name gallery.

The long page titles are fairly useless as with several tabs open I only see 'What can you' on the Articles page title tab.

Don't use lines, use rectangles instead. Xara's lines are exported as images.
    Thanks, Egg for the critique.

I was noticing the load times as well and I'll take a look here with these notices for the next .xar correction.

It's a tough shot with the image laden reference headlines. It's just the way I had to present the landing page with as much punch as possible.

Lines converted to images? I had no idea. I thought it treated it like a text object.

I was aware of the Articles pages reference images. I'll see about replacing the photos with slightly larger weight for a better result for Desktop.

Safari (Iphone, I am looking at getting an IPad with Safari now perm for testing, loan one for this here) looks good on landing page, and all else looks and loads reasonably. I'm pretty happy.

Arch Med1
    Last edited by ArchMed1; 22 October 2021 at 02:39 AM. Reason: details

Re your page speed tests. Here's one from Pingdom of your current INDEX page. I wouldn't go a great deal on the Performance Grade, I prefer Lighthouse for this but the Page size, Load time and Requests are relevant.

Also your current articles page details and finally my reduced image site at HERE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	130875   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	56 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	130876  

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	67 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	130877  
    Egg

Re your page speed tests. Here's one form Pingdom your current INDEX page. I wouldn't go a great deal on the Performance Grade, I prefer Lighthouse for this but the Page size, Load time and Requests are relevant:
    I was not aware of this tool, Egg. Thanks for enlightening me on this....

I read a load time of not more than 2 seconds is optimal for a website via Google recommendation for what is called 'website acceptability'.

1.52 seconds not bad and still under threshold.

Fortunately, the most photo laden image pages is the Landing Home and Articles page, which I thought of as a previsioned need when I cut some articles down to Part 1/Part 2 pages. Most of the articles have not more than 4 (some 5) optimized photos, which will help with those load times.

Arch Med!
    Last edited by ArchMed1; 22 October 2021 at 03:25 AM. Reason: details

Egg

Thanks. I looked it up right when you mentioned it.

Re your page speed tests. Here's one from Pingdom of your current INDEX page. I wouldn't go a great deal on the Performance Grade, I prefer Lighthouse for this but the Page size, Load time and Requests are relevant.

Also your current articles page details and finally my reduced image site at HERE
    Many thanks. I'm looking and seeing the reduction on your version. Hmm.
    Last edited by ArchMed1; 22 October 2021 at 03:36 AM. Reason: details

Ignore. Mods please delete this post.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 23 October 2021 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Trying to upload .xar file without the publish details
    Egg

Attention!

The test site on http://dzuwr5.xara.hosting has been deleted from the Magix online server.

Thanks all for checking it out and giving feedback.