Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mobile Home Page not displaying in Opera, but Chrome and Firefox Yes?

The entire site I have is now done, target pages tested, the slider issue solved (thanks, T!) and thanks all for the assistance and great advise on this forum. Never would have been able to finish it.

But here is something that may need a ticket.

Off and on I have had an issue where in Opera, the mobile Home page (landing page) will not display when the browser is minimized, but will display all other mobile pages in the root (about, staff, issue, articles, contact) without an issue. The home (landing page) Mobile displays the "Tablet" variant.

Tested the last .xar build today in Chrome and Firefox, mobile Home (landing page) displays as expected as well as tested links and test pages.

Tried the same new build of the Home (landing page) in Opera, after clearing browser cache, checking the mobile Home page (landing page) for hang over assets off the borders, outside the canvas, and so on. Nothing seen.

The Opera browser displayed the same Home (landing page) issue, showing "Tablet" variant instead of the Mobile variant. All other root pages displayed as expected.

Any ideas what it would be? 2 out of 3, but sometimes it is 3 of 3, as the Opera mobile Home variant will display as normal in previous builds, then not on the next one. Hmmm.

Here are screencaps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chrome.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	130833Click image for larger version. 

Name:	firefox.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	130834Click image for larger version. 

Name:	opera.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	130835

Default Re: Mobile Home Page not displaying in Opera, but Chrome and Firefox Yes?

Is Opera even supported anymore? I have not heard much lately. Also what phone or tablet?

Default Re: Mobile Home Page not displaying in Opera, but Chrome and Firefox Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Is Opera even supported anymore? I have not heard much lately. Also what phone or tablet?
    I am using the 'drag the index page' method into an open browser after I have exported the target pages of my website to my hard drive.

Then I minimize and maximize the browser to check Mobile, Tablet and Browser versions by sliding it back and forth.

I am not opening the files on any other devices than my PC, at the moment.

I liked the Browser check utility that was in previous Xara versions (before 18) where you could pick a browser to test your website in, and the variants using the same method, but I now just have Chrome and Firefox installed on my system as well.

IE vulnerability issues caused this utility to be discarded for XWD v18, if I read right.
    Last edited by ArchMed1; 17 October 2021 at 11:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Not sure what the reason was for discontinuing the installed browsers option. But you can test a page or site with the included Xara.Hosting publish then try it in real time on a mobile device. You can delete the test site when you are done.

Not sure what the reason was for discontinuing the installed browsers option. But you can test a page or site with the included Xara.Hosting publish then try it in real time on a mobile device. You can delete the test site when you are done.
    I'll check into this. Thanks.

New info...

Good grief! I have a year Website M coupon free for a year to Dec 2022 for Magix hosting since I purchased the Premium 18 version.

Tops for the tip! No FTP needed. I'll test there.
    Last edited by ArchMed1; 18 October 2021 at 02:55 AM. Reason: add more info

imo that is what it is there for - it's not much good for anything else these days as it does not support https [unless you host a personal site with no financial/security implications and don't care too much about ratings]

@Gary - https://gs.statcounter.com/browser-market-share
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

@Steve - My jaw is on the floor. I had no idea Chrome had that much market share and Firefox and Edge so little.

I removed Chrome from my system a long time ago.

firefox is no longer flavour of the month with me since they introduced the proton UI; the default tabbing is now naff and not well suited to lots of tab open at once.. had to delve in CSS to fix it to my liking; but I need to stick with FFox because my security software only sandboxes three browsers : edge, chrome, firefox...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Here is the Edge mobile variant test.

Like Opera, it is displaying the 'Tablet" variant and not the mobile home landing page.

About Us, Staff, Issue, Articles, World and Contact will all display as expected in the same root document pages (they all display these mobile pages).

These change as I said if check for items outside the mobile variant canvas, reset assets inside if they look too close to the canvas edge, etc. I cannot find a reason why Opera would show, then not show the mobile variant home landing page.

Ticket needed? Any ideas?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edge.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	130846

@Steve - My jaw is on the floor. I had no idea Chrome had that much market share and Firefox and Edge so little.
    Me either.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.