Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Whats this effect called?

Hi I like the effect I see on quiet a few websites when an image grows/zooms-in. I'd like to do it in JS but I can't find an example.

My example uses svg's to achieve the desired effect but I'd like a JS version. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

LINK
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Whats this effect called?

well i would call it a 'pan in' - thats from a movie/camera point of view
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hi I like the effect I see on quiet a few websites when an image grows/zooms-in. I'd like to do it in JS but I can't find an example.
    My example uses svg's to achieve the desired effect but I'd like a JS version. Can anyone point me in the right direction.
    LINK
    Well Egg, I shall point you to the very place: https://parkeston.com/Harwich-AIS/mo...over-Hover.htm.

You built it from my Inner Zoom CSS (sorry) and JavaScript: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...693#post634693 & following Post.
    Just change the CSS transition to around 2s and the background-size to around 200%.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks for that Acorn. I forgot I'd done that. However I want it zoom the opposite way. I think I've found a site that may help.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Thanks for that Acorn. I forgot I'd done that. However I want it zoom the opposite way. I think I've found a site that may help.
    Egg, now I am confused.

My suggestion of changing the timing and scale was to give an Inner Zoom In:

<style>
    .innerZoom {
    background-size: 100%;
    background-position: center center;
    transition: all 2s ease-in-out;
    }
    .innerZoom:hover {
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    background-size: 200%;
    }
    </style>

If you want a Zoomed presentation moving to full image, an Inner Zoom Out, just flip the background sizes:

<style>
    .innerZoom {
    background-size: 200%;
    background-position: center center;
    transition: all 2s ease-in-out;
    }
    .innerZoom:hover {
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    background-size: 100%;
    }
    </style>

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

It's popularly called the Ken Burns effect. He didn't originate the effect but did popularize it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Burns_effect

https://www.wevideo.com/blog/for-work/being-ken-burns (nice example down the page).

I last used it in 2010/2012 for the last website I built and maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    It's popularly called the Ken Burns effect. He didn't originate the effect but did popularize it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Burns_effect
    https://www.wevideo.com/blog/for-work/being-ken-burns (nice example down the page).
    I last used it in 2010/2012 for the last website I built and maintained.
    But the approach we are using doesn't pan slowly; that is the killer part of the Ken Burns effect.
    In my original Post I indicated any Animatable CSS property could be added although for fullest control, you would use @keyframes.

@Egg, you Ken Burnsed a time back as best as I recall.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    well i would call it a 'pan in' - thats from a movie/camera point of view
    As Egg seems to have solved the problem himself some time ago, isn't it a deja point of view?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a day in the life.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	130832

-------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Anyone been experimenting with creating animated svg's to reveal an underlaying image?