Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Whats this effect called?

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    But the approach we are using doesn't pan slowly; that is the killer part of the Ken Burns effect.
    In my original Post I indicated any Animatable CSS property could be added although for fullest control, you would use @keyframes.

@Egg, you Ken Burnsed a time back as best as I recall.

Acorn
    The Burns effect, at least the couple I've used, can be adjusted for speed and area to zoom into/out of. Burns himself used different zoom timings.

The thread simply asked "Whats [sic] this effect called?" That is all I answered.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    The Burns effect, at least the couple I've used, can be adjusted for speed and area to zoom into/out of. Burns himself used different zoom timings.
    The thread simply asked "Whats [sic] this effect called?" That is all I answered.
    And I countered as it is a Ken Burns Effect with no Pan, it isn't a Ken Burns Effect. It is just a Zoom In as there is no (presented or asked for) method to adjust where the zoom centres on.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

And I countered as it is a Ken Burns Effect with no Pan, it isn't a Ken Burns Effect. It is just a Zoom In as there is no (presented or asked for) method to adjust where the zoom centres on.

Acorn
    There is no need to use pan for the Burns effect. Burns also, just like those before him, used just zoom in/out. Just as he/those before him, used and/or not used multiple layers with differing movement speeds.

But hey, whatever.

There is no need to use pan for the Burns effect. Burns also, just like those before him, used just zoom in/out. Just as he/those before him, used and/or not used multiple layers with differing movement speeds.
    But hey, whatever.
    whatever, but your Wikipedia reference states otherwise.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

well if we wish to be pedantic... quoting from the wiki link:

the feature enables a widely used technique of embedding still photographs in motion pictures
    is that what we are doiing here? embedding still[s] into an otherwise live action film/video? because if we are not it 'aint a burns effect in my book, its just a pan zooming in/out
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

whatever, but your Wikipedia reference states otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    well if we wish to be pedantic... quoting from the wiki link:is that what we are doiing here? embedding still[s] into an otherwise live action film/video? because if we are not it 'aint a burns effect in my book, its just a pan zooming in/out
    Y'all should have read more, including some of the various links and how that/those effects are variously applied by Burns and Apple, Microsoft, Nokia and by various flash and Javascript implementations that have been around for many, many years.

The effects do not need to be integrated into otherwise "live action film/video."

But I'll leave TG for awhile now. Have fun.

then what exactly is special about it that makes it not a simple pan and zoom

has someone appropriated a specific to label something generic in order to make it sound special ?

from the wiki it sounds to me like the man himself is rather embarrassed by it all
    Nothing lasts forever...

But I'll leave TG for awhile now.
    I hope for not too long because I value your presence at TG.

I'll second that

look - I'm an animator, all animation is the manipulation of still images to produce [the illusion of] movement; if anyone wants to define a particular way of doing that outside of live action as a burns effect fine, but i was just expressing a personal opinion, to me it is all just animation, a form of animatics as wiki mentions

I'll just go away and 'photoshop' a few images, maybe paint a 'dali effect': a painting where you can see an object that only exisits because it is defined by the boundaries of other objects... ok I made that last one up, but he was rather good at it
    Last edited by handrawn; 19 October 2021 at 08:32 AM.
    Nothing lasts forever...