Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Closed thread: is this forum changing?

So every once in a while, I check in to see if I cab help fellow Xara users and enthousiasts.
    I use Xara every day and have alot of experience with it since it's first incarnation in 1994. (Bligh me, that's almost 27 years ago!)

Today I stumbled over a question about a pop-up screen when opening Xara. (https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ks-everything/)

I had a suggestion but when I wanted to post found the subject was closed! This, I never have experienced before in this forum. And I have serious doubt about it. For it blocks other users who may want to contribute.

The suggestion I wanted to make is clearing the cache and blocking Xara access to the Internet through the firewall. You might loose some functionality but at least you can work with your local projects.

Concerning the closure of threads; I strongly detest. IMHO this forum was created for helping other users and generally trying to get the most out of the product we love. It should be done in an open and relaxed atmosphere. Barring answers is not in that spirit.

Default Re: Closed thread: is this forum changing?

until fairly recently the policy as I understood it as an ex-mod was that closing threads was a 'last resort' and that current closing threads was only ever done if it became repeatedly flamed or a troll-magnet

this does seem to be a change - although the OP may have requestd closure...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

It is not a change of policy rather one where we have been leaving Threads open that have reached a natural conclusion.
    Too many times we are then getting banal "Thanks" Posts from new joiners who have no Xara products and contribute nothing whatsoever to the discussion.

Closing a Thread does not stop genuine contributions as a poster can easily open another and reference to the Thread in question.
    If fully relevant then the Threads can be merged and the original re-opened.
    If aggrieved just PM me to open a Thread up again. I will be more than happy to do so or ague it has a better home.

@Michael, answers are not being barred. The Thread you mention had an answer that satisfied the OP.
    The problem is there are twenty-plus Threads on the exact same topic; the most recent is https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ox-on-DPX-18-5 where your approach has a resonance.
    Without curating the Threads, we dilute the answers across many areas. The focus ought to be in the Dear Xara Forum. Xara's approach is to get you onto intercom so each individual issue is addressed but never aggregated into a Problem. Equally, Magix make it hard to find the correct page and take a long time to respond.
    Other Threads are genuinely time-expired. "What do you think of my site?" with opinions raised two years afterwards is not sensible.
    Nor are responses helpful where the product version they use is well in advance of the problem application.

@Michael, with 27 Posts under your belt this year, you are one of our frequent flyers and your contributions to others and with your separately started Threads.
    I note that you once asked for a Thread to be closed. Such requests happen daily and are encouraged. Doing so is not "barring answers".

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

good answer acorn - thanks for the clarification - moderation is often a timeconsuming firefighting exercise - on TG it is by and large well done
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...