Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Issue in publishing site to hosting domain

Hi, just created a new website, first time using xara. We have our own hosting service and have put all the ftp details in correctly (not using any optional sub directory). However, when we type the web address for the site in, it comes up as page not found. When looking in the hosting file manager, we can see that xara has not put the files in a public folder that it has seemingly created, instead of the one already there. If we type in our site in the form http://www.*****.com/index.html the home page comes up, but not if we type http://www.*****.com, which is the normal way....

Can anyone help with this as we're kind of stuck at the moment?

Than you in advance !

Default Re: Issue in publishing site to hosting domain

Welcome to TalkGraphics

Sorry for the delay. New posts with links do not get posted until the moderators can make sure the post is not spam.

Most hosts want website files placed in a sub-directory, usually public_html

If you have done this and you are still not seeing your changes, and if you have cleared the page cache by keying in Ctrl + F5 then it may be a case of Xara defaulting to htm instead of .html.

If there are current files that end in .html they will take precedence over .htm files.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FTP settings.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	130825  

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Welcome to TalkGraphics

Sorry for the delay. New posts with links do not get posted until the moderators can make sure the post is not spam.

Most hosts want website files placed in a sub-directory, usually public_html

If you have done this and you are still not seeing your changes, and if you have cleared the page cache by keying in Ctrl + F5 then it may be a case of Xara defaulting to htm instead of .html.

If there are current files that end in .html they will take precedence over .htm files.

Gary
    Thanks Gary, yes, it does seem xara is doing something strange, we tried both publishing to the /public_html directory (as you suggested) and then with no sub directory, in both cases the same happened. So it maybe be as simple as xara changing the .html vs .htm. Any idea how to fix this? Or at least contact the xara development team as, annoyingly, I can't find any contact details on their webpage
    Last edited by wwdileie; 16 October 2021 at 02:43 AM.

If you are stating the directory is /public_html then your HTML files need to have the extension .html.
    In your first page properties, change the filename index to index.html.

Acorn

P.S. the contact page will be the one for "MagiXara" in my signature block below as you are using XDP.
    Last edited by Acorn; 16 October 2021 at 12:43 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    If you are stating the directory is /public_html then your HTML files need to have the extension .html.
    In your first page properties, change the filename index to index.html.

Acorn

P.S. the contact page will be the one for "MagiXara" in my signature block below as you are using XDP.
    Thanks for your reply acorn, I tried as you suggested, renamed the index file to index.html and published to the sub folder public_html and then also renaming the index file back to the xara standard 'index' while publishing to public_htm. Neither worked unfortunately, but if I type the http://www.webaddress.com and then add http://www.webaddress.com/index.html the site comes up. Really not sure how to solve this one .

@ Acorn: Not following that. I upload to the sub-folder 'public_html' on my host. This is the default folder for my website. However I only ever use Xara's .htm file extension, never .html and it causes o problems.

@ wwdileie: Can you attach a screen grab of your publish settings window with the details of username / password etc blanked out of course?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    @ Acorn: Not following that. I upload to the sub-folder 'public_html' on my host. This is the default folder for my website. However I only ever use Xara's .htm file extension, never .html and it causes o problems.

@ wwdileie: Can you attach a screen grab of your publish settings window with the details of username / password etc blanked out of course?
    Hi Egg Bramhill, sure thing, should be attached... Thanks for your help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FTP SC.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	130830  

Quote Originally Posted by wwdileie View Post
    Hi Egg Bramhill, sure thing, should be attached... Thanks for your help
    wwdileie, if you have what is showing in the screenshot then click on the Explore web space button.
    This should list all your assets within /index_htm.
    Typically, you need to ensure your .htaccess file is directing the root address to the index.htm or index.html file.
    If you do not have this or the rediction is to the wrong extension then you might get this behaviour.

Do check what your service provider has set up as default.

I do not think this is a Xara issue.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 17 October 2021 at 04:32 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post

Hi Egg Bramhill, I've tried to attach a screen shot twice, once saturday and once today, but my reply and attachment don't show up? I'm wondering if it's sitting in a moderators 'to OK' box?

Hi, have been trying to reply to your post three times and it never appears, it seems that either a moderator isn't ok'ing them or somehow they're not getting through?