Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Importing photos in raw format

I’ve created a bit of a mess. I usually shoot my photos for websites in a larger jpeg format. This time I shot in raw format. After getting by Nikon’s proprietary nef rule, which Xara didn’t like, I now have what I think is a raw photo. The photo is of course huge. 30 meg. And I zoom out. Now I must save in a jpeg, but I’m not getting the sharpness. You can view a photo in the header at melfortmuseum.org index page. All settings on exporting and saving were jpeg highest quality. I’ve followed the manual.
    The answer to this is of course shooting in jpeg.
    I have used sharpness, and highlight shadow to a certain degree.
    I’m thinking that on import Xara automatically changed this to a jpeg on account of size. But did it?
    Any tips on importing raw graciously accepted.

-Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Default Re: Importing photos in raw format

Bill, Besides Xara I use interview a lot https://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm don't know but maybe it will help you with your image prob. Maybe others here have a better solution.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

You should also get the plugins.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

IrfanView has a quite specific licensing arrangement; https://www.irfanview.com/main_what_is_engl.htm.
    It might be of use within https://melfortmuseum.org but it is worth checking.

Your XDPXv17 should handle .nef:
    RAW photo import

You can import RAW digital camera files, either by using the Import menu option or just drag & drop the file onto the Designer Pro+ window.

Supported file extensions include: *.crw, *.cr2, *.rw2, *.nef,*.mrw,*raf,*.kdc,*.orf, *.dng, *.ptx, *.pef, *.anw, *.x3f
    However there are many different extensions used for RAW files by different camera manufacturers, so if you have a RAW file with a file extension not listed above it's worth trying to import it anyway.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    IrfanView has a quite specific licensing arrangement; what_is_engl.htm.

Acorn
    Don't know Acorn I thought it referenced the English language version.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Thanks @acorn and @wizard509. I was able to produce good jpeg quality by selecting another photo with far less contrast.
    Now to learn how to decrease jpeg size for email.
    Thanks again.
    W
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    Thanks @acorn and @wizard509. I was able to produce good jpeg quality by selecting another photo with far less contrast.
    Now to learn how to decrease jpeg size for email.
    Thanks again.
    W
    Bill, depends on your need but the simplest would be to set to the dimensions your need in your XDA and Export as JPEG.
    If still to large, try half the size and make a Bitmap Copy and double its size and Export that.
    Choose whatever scaling works for you.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    IrfanView has a quite specific licensing arrangement; https://www.irfanview.com/main_what_is_engl.htm.

Your XDPXv17 should handle .nef:

Acorn
    Yes confirmed working with .nef. Xara simply opens another blank window. Drag and drop does not work probably because of the file size. Photo adjustments are best done on a larger window anyway. Conversely Affinity Photo will open for adjustment with fast jpeg export.
    Don’t forget to optimize all your photos by “optimize all images”, close the file then re-open.
    Thanks again all.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design