Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Despite having <IfModule mod_expires.c> within my .htaccess file ....

Despite having <IfModule mod_expires.c> within my .htaccess file I still get marked down using pingdom and google lighthouse for not having them. I can't understand this, can anyone assist please.

UPDATE Only showing on pingdom now.

Here's the content of my .htaccess file:

ErrorDocument 404 https://parkeston.com/404.htm

## EXPIRES CACHING ##
    <IfModule mod_expires.c>
    ExpiresActive On
    ExpiresByType image/jpg "access 1 week"
    ExpiresByType image/@2xjpg "access 1 week"
    ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access 1 week"
    ExpiresByType image/gif "access 1 week"
    ExpiresByType image/png "access 1 week"
    ExpiresByType image/@2xpng "access 1 week"
    ExpiresByType image/webp "access 1 week"
    ExpiresByType image/@2xwebp "access 1 week"
    ExpiresByType text/css "access 1 month"
    ExpiresByType application/pdf "access 1 month"
    ExpiresByType application/javascript "access 1 month"
    ExpiresByType application/jquery.js "access 1 month"
    ExpiresByType application/roe.js "access 1 month"
    ExpiresByType application/prs4.js "access 1 month"
    ExpiresByType application/ani.css "access 1 month"
    ExpiresByType application/xr_main.css "access 1 month"
    ExpiresByType application/xr_text.css "access 1 month"
    ExpiresByType application/x-javascript "access 1 month"
    ExpiresByType application/x-shockwave-flash "access 1 year"
    ExpiresByType image/x-icon "access 1 year"
    </IfModule>
    ## EXPIRES CACHING##
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 11 October 2021 at 10:10 PM. Reason: update
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Despite having <IfModule mod_expires.c> within my .htaccess file ....

Egg, it looks clean. Do check the quotes are using the same and correct glyph; MS Word & Xara both use smart quotes! Also check EOL is right CRLF vs LF.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Despite having <IfModule mod_expires.c> within my .htaccess file ....

Thanks Acorn. I ran it through an .htaccess checker and it shows no faults. I'll look again later.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg, the only other things I thought of were the .htaccess file is in the index_htm_files folder and caching on your server.

pingdom not working could be a slow distribution around edge servers/DNS, if you use something like Cloudflare.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I may be misunderstanding things, and that's quite likely, but where you have for the - ExpiresByType - and then - image/jpg "access 1 week", you're telling it to cache files with the extension of "jpg", correct? So something like Photo.jpg or Whatever.jpg would get cached.

But then I noticed you also put in a line to tell it to cache the Type - image/@2xjpg. So I thought I better add that to my htaccess. But then I was thinking (which can be dangerous) --

When you tell Xara you want to use images for the Retina display, then it makes a file that it adds "@2x". But, and I just checked this on my website, Xara adds the @2x to the file name, not to the file extension. So you get Photo@2x.jpg, not Photo.@2xjpg. So Photo@2x.jpg is still a jpg file extension which will be cached under the regular command to cache jpg files.

Am I thinking correctly here? Do you need to add the - Type image/@2xjpg? And the same question goes for the @2xpng and @2xwebp. Because Photo@2x.png is still a regular png file that will be cached. No?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkyW48 View Post
    I may be misunderstanding things, and that's quite likely, but where you have for the - ExpiresByType - and then - image/jpg "access 1 week", you're telling it to cache files with the extension of "jpg", correct? So something like Photo.jpg or Whatever.jpg would get cached.

But then I noticed you also put in a line to tell it to cache the Type - image/@2xjpg. So I thought I better add that to my htaccess. But then I was thinking (which can be dangerous) --

When you tell Xara you want to use images for the Retina display, then it makes a file that it adds "@2x". But, and I just checked this on my website, Xara adds the @2x to the file name, not to the file extension. So you get Photo@2x.jpg, not Photo.@2xjpg. So Photo@2x.jpg is still a jpg file extension which will be cached under the regular command to cache jpg files.

Am I thinking correctly here? Do you need to add the - Type image/@2xjpg? And the same question goes for the @2xpng and @2xwebp. Because Photo@2x.png is still a regular png file that will be cached. No?
    You are probably right but it should not interfere with the other statements.

Acorn

@ Acorn, I apologise, I did answer your earlier post but it seems to have gone awol.

@ Marky Yes you are 100% correct, I'm overcomplicating the issue! Here's my amended expire headers.

Contacted my web host to see if they can throw light on the issue

ErrorDocument 404 https://parkeston.com/404.htm

## EXPIRES CACHING ##
    <IfModule mod_expires.c>
    ExpiresActive On
    ExpiresByType image/jpg "access 1 week"
    ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access 1 week"
    ExpiresByType image/gif "access 1 week"
    ExpiresByType image/png "access 1 week"
    ExpiresByType image/webp "access 1 week"
    ExpiresByType text/css "access 1 month"
    ExpiresByType application/pdf "access 1 month"
    ExpiresByType application/javascript "access 1 month"
    </IfModule>
    ## EXPIRES CACHING##
    Egg

Still getting nowhere with this. It appears that expires headers can't handle webp images. See attached results below. Although the webp are supposed to be cached and states they are they clearly aren't as shown in the non cached list. Go figure.

I've given up on Pingdom re this issue as no matter what you do (don't use webp for example) Pingdom gives the same result every time

I checked this on LINK
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EXPORT.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	214.5 KB 
ID:	130878  
    Egg

Maybe it wants a 365 day cache period, not a week or month. Just bear in mind images need to be renamed if changed otherwise visitors might not see the latest image for a year or until they did a full page refresh in the browser.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

I tried that in the image above your post Tom i.e. using 365 days. but whilst it appears to read the webp webcache from the .htaccess file it then goes on to state these files are not cached.
    Egg