Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: I Heart Dragons

Hybrid View

Default Re: I Heart Dragons

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    we discussed way back the way to do it in xara by converting line to shape and breaking shape - sure it is complicated compared to PS

if you create line art in PS and want sharp vector though, you can export your line art layer and vectorise [auto-trace] it

so the steps would be:

create art in PS on separate layers for line art and colour at say 300 dpi
    create a copy file to use and merge any clipping layers which xara does not support
    make sure there is a background [bottom] layer that is filled with white and nothing else
    hide all layers except line art and the white background - save this as a PNG
    in inkscape [free] import the PNG and use the path menu > trace bitmap function to automatically trace the art work to vector - inkscape places the trace directly over the bitmap and so makes replacement practical; xara bitmap trace does not do this and in this respect is a total pita
    without moving either save your lineart and vector from inkscape as SVG
    in PS hide only the line art - save all the rest including the white background as PSD
    import the PSD into xara - at the correct dpi aand as objects not layers
    import the SVG into xara
    group all the imported PSD
    the SVG shoud be imported as a group, if it is not, group it
    select both groups and use xara's alignment tool to place the SVG import over he PSD import - use horizontal: align left and vertical: align top settings - the two groups should align to the white backgrounds and therefore the vectored art should be placed directly over the coloured art - you won't see this though until you go into the page and layer gallery and hide/delete the background in the SVG import group and in the PSD import group if you don't need it

simple eh? - well I do it a lot so I can then export as PDF and import into TB Harmony therefore I might be biased [ I use Painttool SAI not photoshop - I prefer raster brushes to vector brushes for cartooning]
    Good description handrawn.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Default Re: I Heart Dragons

thanks Larry - it's a pity inkscape does not import PSD, although the inkscape Ui is very clunky compared to xara, but it would align juat as well; if you only have a single layer of colour though you could import that into inkscape as another PNG of course
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...