Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Subfolder to Subfolder Links Issue

Here is an interesting question.

In testing my website now in final corrections prior to Bluehost publishing, I came across an issue I was not expecting.

From the root home set of pages, all works fine. I published my home index set of pages to Download/test, and then created another folder inside called Articles.

Then inside Articles folder, I published 5 .xars into their each individual folder, as they are independent websites and single page articles.

All links on the Nav bar worked fine, from the Home Page (and assorted front root pages) to the subfolders. I named them what they will be on the server.

I tested the Nav bars on each articles back to the home pages (Home, About, Staff, Articles, Issue, Contact) and they worked fine. No issues.

Now, in each .xar article (see image) there, at the bottom of the page is a "Related Posts" section with 2 image and text links related to articles on the current, paged article. The reader would then click the "Related Posts" link to their liking and read the next uploaded article.

But it does not do that, the page comes up 'Your file could not be accessed".

So from sub folder to sub folder (or article to article not selected from the home pages) is there another way the directions is supposed to be written?

Here is my 'copy link' info on the on screen article to the 'related article' when the mouse is placed over the text/photo link:

file:///C:/Users/owner/Downloads/test/Articles/tablets-detailing-ancient-eemian-civilization-found-in-british-museum/Articles/caspian-sea-tablets-reveal-miracles-of-eemian-prophet/index.htm

Any idea?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snipr.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	130739Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snipr 2.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	130740
    Last edited by ArchMed1; 04 October 2021 at 04:15 AM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: Subfolder to Subfolder Links Issue

You're already in the sub-folder Articles so the link should just be:

caspian-sea-tablets-reveal-miracles-of-eemian-prophet/index.htm
    as there is no sub-folder Articles whithin Articles.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Does this make it clearer? On hovering over the vertical menu take note of the url link address in the bottom left corner

EXAMPLE
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Does this make it clearer? On hovering over the vertical menu take note of the url link address in the bottom left corner

EXAMPLE
    Yes, Egg, it does. Very nicely. This will be very helpful to others as well!

Many thanks for the answer!

Arch Med1
    Last edited by ArchMed1; 04 October 2021 at 10:15 PM. Reason: details

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    You're already in the sub-folder Articles so the link should just be:

as there is no sub-folder Articles within Articles.
    A test done. So this will not work on the local drive then? I changed the Web Properties on the image (removing the Articles/ direction) to "tablets-detailing-ancient-eemian-civilization-found-in-british-museum/index.htm" in the .xar (without quotes).

Republished the opened and being read article .xar to the needed folder to the "test/Articles/caspian-sea-tablets-reveal-miracles-of-eemian-prophet" (without quotes).

Checked the link on the published page. Hovered over the image link and copied the link address "file:///C:/tablets-detailing-ancient-eemian-civilization-found-in-british-museum/index.htm

Clicked it, came up 'Your file could not be accessed".

Missing something here. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	link issue.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	130749
    Last edited by ArchMed1; 05 October 2021 at 12:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Unless I'm getting your file structure wrong the link should not have the index.htm but should be:

tablets-detailing-ancient-eemian-civilization-found-in-british-museum.htm
    That page is contained within the Articles folder.

So this will not work on the local drive then?
    Yes it works on the local drive.
    Egg

Thanks, Egg.

More realms for the study.

Last issue I'll post in the Xara Slider I posted in.

Thanks A Lot Egg <3

OK, last word here before publish. If I am wrong, please advise.

Here is my site structure...

https://www.mysite.org/Articles

From my index set of root pages (Home, About Us, Staff, Issue, Articles, World and Contact) the link from these pages to any article listed in them would be..in Webproperties/Link (see image for this example)...

Articles/greenland-more-prehistoric-ruins-found-near-ittoqqortoorniit/index.htm

From any articles from Sub folder to Sub folder in relation to Related Posts the link would be...in Webproperties/Link (see image for this example)...

https://www.mysite.org/Articles/casp...phet/index.htm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	home page link.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	130789Click image for larger version. 

Name:	related post link.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	130790
    Last edited by ArchMed1; 09 October 2021 at 10:13 PM. Reason: spelling

Arch, your link leads nowhere. How do you expect us to visit a site https://www.mysite.org. You don't own a domain name mysite.org

You're really not grasping the concept here despite your claim to learn fast.

Why not publish your site in it's current state and we may be able to help?
    Egg