Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Subfolder to Subfolder Links Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Arch, your link leads nowhere. How do you expect us to visit a site https://www.mysite.org. You don't own a domain name mysite.org

You're really not grasping the concept here despite your claim to learn fast.

Why not publish your site in it's current state and we may be able to help?
    Egg,

I have seen some others on the forum refer to an example site as 'http://www.mysite.com' just for a matter of supplying a url as a reference.

My site is https://www.bournejournal.org (currently pending page)

My subfolder containing all 40 articles is https://www.bournejournal.org/Articles

I would rather, instead of publishing my site as is, nitpick the .xar (.web) files it until I am confident it will work the first time, or near so.

Hovering over 'related articles' images on a few sample online magazines, I found they contained the full url of the 'related article' for the link.

So if I place this on the Webproperties/Link on the 'related articles', how can this go wrong?

Arch, the links you provide lead to a WordPress site? WordPress is a Content Management System (CMS) site creator. Xara doesn't use CMS.

I've advised you earlier that the url's of pages within your Article sub folder should not contain "index.htm" within the url but you don't seem to grasp this.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I am using Bluehost and I can use Xara.

I have all the instructions from the host.

Egg, I know what Wordpress is. I very briefly considered using WP, but kept with Xara.

The .org site will be a Xara site.

Yes, I did note it. About the .index.
    Last edited by ArchMed1; 10 October 2021 at 02:29 AM. Reason: details

Arch, you avoided my point regarding the "index.htm" within your url's.

Please give us a link to your Xara web site.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Please give us a link to your Xara web site.
    Egg, it is not up yet. When I have it up I will post the link in this form post.

Arch Med1

Sample selecting one folder...from the Home Page index set of pages...

The link (of a photo or text link) in the Webproperties link would be "www.bournejournal.org/Articles/second-archean-burgess-shale-found-in-australia/"

The article's .web file in the folder is already named 'index', since each article .xar/.web file is in itself a single, individual website.

The browser will search the "second-archean-burgess-shale-found-in-australia" folder for the index.html or index.htm file and call it up for view.

The article will also be opened in a new tab per the tick on Webproperties/links.

The url will display "www.bournejournal.org/Articles/second-archean-burgess-shale-found-in-australia/".

The same would apply to articles linking to each other within the Articles folder, one article to another (under Related Posts).

Is this correct?

My subfolder containing all 40 articles is https://www.bournejournal.org/Articles
    You state above that there a 40 articles in the subfolder. Now your stating there are 40 subfolders in Articles????

The article's .web file in the folder is already named 'index', since each article .xar/.web file is in itself a single, individual website.
    You don't place the .xar/.web file on your server, it's of no use there unless you want to store the .xar/.web file there. A server or browser can do nothing with .xar/.web files.
    By default Xara on publication names the file index.htm but it doesn't have to be named such.

You can't create 40 webpages named index.htm all within one folder, one will just overwrite the earlier version.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 10 October 2021 at 01:22 PM.
    Egg

Like this...

The structure of the site is www.bournejournal.org/Articles

There is one subfolder called Articles (see above). There are 40 folders in the Articles folder that contain the names of the articles in hyphens where the .xars/.web files will be published to.

Example: monster-eats-london is one article.

The needed "A-london monster.xar" (as I named the file for editing and work) for that folder is published to "monster-eats-london".

Example ...bournejournal.org/Articles/monster-eats-london ( I took out the www so it would display the entire line for this forum post).

In the Webproperties/Page of the .xar/.web the page was named 'index'.

So when the browser will look for this "index" file in the "monster-eats-london" folder it will find it and display the page.

All the other articles will go through the same process until all 40 are published to their respective folders in the Articles subfolder. Each .xar/.web is a single article.

Acorn gave me this layout. Now I see why. It will be easier to add more articles to the website by rearranging the home root pages content (new images and text with new links to newer articles). This will also help with any memory issues with too big of files in loading the entire site. See graph he gave me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	INDEX.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	130793
    Last edited by ArchMed1; 10 October 2021 at 04:50 PM. Reason: spelling

For anyone still interested I seem to have solved the subfolder to subfolder link. From an image at the bottom of a viewed article, showing a Related Post image with a link.

Linking...

"xxx.bournejournal.org/Articles/tablets-detailing-ancient-eemian-civilization-found-in-british-museum/index.htm" (xxx in place of www)

to "xxx.bournejournal.org/Articles/caspian-sea-tablets-reveal-miracles-of-eemian-prophet/index.htm"

was accomplished with the link..."../caspian-sea-tablets-reveal-miracles-of-eemian-prophet/index.htm"

The page link displayed in the picture link and went over to the proper article subfolder in Articles (on my local drive).

I found the answer here: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ght=subfolders

The dialogue:

Linking from the main site would have a URL of "subfolder01/page01.htm(l)", assuming you know your structure, you do not need the full URL.
    Sub-site to sub-site links are a little trickier. To go to Page 5 on the third sub-site from another sub-site would require "../subfolder03/page05.htm(l)"; the ".." means go up a level (to main) and navigate from there.

I was missing this item, the "../" direction. The link was put in Webproperties/Link.

@Egg...yes, there are 40 single page web page articles in the main subfolder Articles. More research today in the forum searches found several more articles where some Xara users did the same thing to break up the site to make it smaller and faster. Also, the Davora/Properties example you had has an index going of Prop 1, but unlike mine you have all the Props (2,3,4,etc) in the same .xar document. Mine are all single .xar pages, one .xar per article. My index files per article are needed, of course.

Thanks for the examples. When I build a site using the Davora/Properties example, I will use your template

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4 snipr.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	130822.

It's soooooooooooooooooo much simpler to create new pages/websites and link to home page or site map.
    Life is too short.
    (Just my stupid, simple-minded take on a conversation which seems to be exasperating..... )