Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Newbie to Xara needs a push in the right direction

I'm a very amateur web developer. I spent my pre-retirement career developing Windows desktop apps for small businesses, so I understand coding, etc. I used Net Objects to create a couple of personal websites with their WYSIWYG approach, which worked fine for me. They are now defunct...

One of my sites is for my high school class, highlighting reunions. With NOF, I'd create a slide show, upload it to a subdirectory (e.g. Reunion25, Reunion50, etc) on the website, and add a text link to the index.html file in the subfolder under the public.html folder on the web server for that slide show. In Xara Premium, when I try to link to a text field, I'm trying to link to the index.html file (the index.html file in the Reunion25, Reunion50, etc. subfolder) on the website. (The site is www.hhsclassof63.com if you want to take a look). Xara won't accept the link address because it can't find it on my PC, and clears the link to file field.

I'm creating my slide shows in jAlbum. I have 15+ slide shows already created and don't really want to have to recreate them from scratch in Xara.

I hope that is clear enough to understand! I need help figuring how to link to a file that isn't on my PC, but is on the web server.

Appreciate any help and/or tips!

Thanks
    IP

Default Re: Newbie to Xara needs a push in the right direction

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyp View Post
    Xara won't accept the link address because it can't find it on my PC, and clears the link to file field.
    Rocky, this part does not fly.

You can enter a fully-qualified URL or relative address into Web Properties > Link > Link to Web or Email address.
    Your XDA will accept anything in that box.

Tell us the path to any of your published slide shows on your web server.
    We will then create a test file that links a text phrase to that slider.

At worst, you can just use the Embed a website widget.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP

Something is definitely wrong here. I published that link here with no issues http://gwpriester.xara.hosting/link-to-class-of-63/
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Rocky, this part does not fly.

You can enter a fully-qualified URL or relative address into Web Properties > Link > Link to Web or Email address.
    Your XDA will accept anything in that box.

Acorn
    Thanks, Acorn, I think that's enough of a hint to get me moving forward!
    IP