Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Metal fills?

Default Re: Metal fills?

Also, PLEASE be aware that because you can find something doing a web search, does not mean you can use it. If you are using something for your personal use then it is not a problem. But if you are creating something for a client and using an image you "borrowed" from the web you are violating someone's copyright. Unless it is creative commons as are the images you find on Wikipedia.

Again depending on your final use you may want to consider a real stock image resource such as Shutterstock.com If you do a search for metallic background you will find a mind boggling 100,162 pages of images. One or two which are probably going to be exactly what you are looking for.

plus it may not be enough to have the texture alone - to get the desired effect it may require delving into lighting which is a separate subject in itself
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Also, PLEASE be aware that because you can find something doing a web search, does not mean you can use it.
    And just to clarify re my video, whilst the imported brushed aliminium image was copyright I only used it a source reference to create a similar effect.

I know Gary is aware of this and not refering to my post but his point is very important.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

@ Acorn:
    The larger, lower block is a rectangle with the letter B, clone and flipped to the right and both cloned and flipped down.
    All four were then selected and a Bitmap Copy make.
    The result is a seamless repeating pattern.
    But not in a seamless brushed metal effect Acorn. The repeating pattern is very obvious. Perhaps I'm missing your point?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

or the classic way,
    take a photo of the metal (or whatever)
    load it in krita and make it seamless repeating (press [w]).
    and use it in X.

and all honour falls to you.
    no sicknature. for nearly 20 years. omg ...
    For many problems there are simple and easy-to-understand solutions that do not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    @ Acorn:
    But not in a seamless brushed metal effect Acorn. The repeating pattern is very obvious. Perhaps I'm missing your point?
    Egg, I made it very obvious on purpose to show how to create a seamless set of boxes. What you do with the method is up to you.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Egg,

Who made the named colors metal fills that you copied in? I could not understand what you said. I would like to download this as I think it could be useful.

Thanks
    Ray

Hi Ray, I can't remember who made it, but I've had it years.

I attached the xar file in post #8 in this thread
    Egg

I know we're going back a while now, but I believe that Gary Priester made the original fills for one of his mini-tutorials.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.